(ALERT!!!) INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995 (fwd)

to "Vatinee Boonpakorn" <Apple_Cherry@msn.com>,
from "Tasayu Tasnaphun" <Thailander@msn.com>
subject (ALERT!!!) INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995 (fwd)
date Mon, 11 Dec 95 23:57:13 UT
A MUST READ TO ALL THAT IS WIRED!!!

With those e-mail address, it should be pretty easy to spam them.

On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Alan C. Johnson wrote:

> I hope that it would go without saying why this post is relevant to this
> list.  If not, well, enjoy it well you can.
>

> >Subject: (ALERT) INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995
> >
> >========================================================================
> >     CAMPAIGN TO STOP THE NET CENSORSHIP LEGISLATION IN CONGRESS
> >
> >    On Tuesday December 12, 1995, Join With Hundreds of Thousands
> >                  Of Your Fellow Internet Users In
> >
> >                  A NATIONAL INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST
> >
> >      PLEASE WIDELY REDISTRIBUTE THIS DOCUMENT WITH THIS BANNER INTACT
> >                REDISTRIBUTE ONLY UNTIL December 20, 1995
> >CONTENTS
> >        Internet Day of Protest: Tuesday December 12, 1995
> >        What You Must Do On Tuesday December 12, 1995
> >        List of Participating Organizations
> >        Where Can I Learn More?

> >INTERNET DAY OF PROTEST:  TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995
> >
> >Outrageous proposals to censor the Internet demand that the Internet
> >Community take swift and immediate action. We must stand up and let
> >Congress know that we will not tolerate their attempts to destroy this
> >medium! Please join hundreds of thousands of your fellow citizens in a
> >National Day of Protest on Tuesday December 12, 1995.
> >
> >As you know, on Wednesday December 6, 1995, the House Conference
> >Committee on Telecommunications Reform voted to impose far reaching and
> >unconstitutional "indecency" restrictions on the Internet and other
> >interactive media, including large commercial online services (such as
> >America Online, Compuserve, and Prodigy) and smaller Internet Service
> >Providers such as Panix, the Well, Echo, and Mindvox.
> >
> >These restrictions threaten the very existence of the Internet and
> >interactive media as a viable medium for free expression, education,
> >commerce.  If enacted, the Internet as we know it will never be the
> >same.
> >
> >Libraries will not be able to put any books online that might
> >offend a child somewhere.  No "Catcher in the Rye" or "Ulysses" on the
net.
> >Internet Service Providers could face criminal penalties for allowing
> >children to subscribe to their Internet Services, forcing many  small
> >companies to simply refuse to sell their services to anyone under 18.
Worst
> >of all, everything you say and publish on the net will have to be "dumbed
> >down" to that which is acceptable to a child.
> >
> >As Internet users, we simply must not allow this assault against the
> >Internet and our most basic freedoms to go unchallenged.
> >
> >On Tuesday December 12, the organizations below are urging you to
> >join us in a NATIONAL DAY OF PROTEST. The goal is to flood key members of
> >the House and Senate with phone calls, faxes and email with the message
> >that the Internet community WILL NOT TOLERATE Congressional attempts to
> >destroy the Internet, limit our freedoms and trample on our rights.
> >
> >Below are the phone, fax, and email address of several key members of
> >Congress on this issue and instructions on what you can do to join the
> >National Day of Protest to save the Net.
> >
> >______________________________________________________________________
> >WHAT YOU MUST DO ON TUESDAY DECEMBER 12, 1995
> >
> >1. Throughout the day Tuesday December 12, please contact as many
> >   members of Congress on the list below as you can. If you are only
> >   able to make one call, contact House Speaker Newt Gingrich. Finally,
> >   if the Senator or Representative from your state is on the list
> >   below, be sure to contact him or her also.
> >
> >2. Urge each Member of Congress to "stop the madness".  Tell them that
> >   they are about to pass legislation that will destroy the Internet as
> >   an educational and commercial medium.  If you are at a loss for
> >   words, try the following sample communique:
> >
> >   Sample phone call:
> >
> >        Both the House and Senate bills designed to protect children
> >        from objectionable material on the Internet will actually
> >        destroy the Internet as an medium for education, commerce, and
> >        political discourse. There are other, less restrictive ways to
> >        address this issue.
> >
> >        I urge you to oppose both measures being proposed in the
> >        conference committee.  This is an important election issue to
> >        me.
> >
> >   Sample letter (fax or email):
> >
> >        The Senate conferees are considering ways to protect children
> >        from inappropriate material on the Internet.  A vote for either
> >        the House or Senate proposals will result in the destruction of
> >        the Internet as a viable medium for free expression, education,
> >        commerce.  Libraries will not be able to put their entire book
> >        collections online.  Everyday people like me will risk massive
> >        fines and prison sentences for public discussions someone s
> >        somewhere might consider "indecent".
> >
> >        There are other, less restrictive ways to protect children from
> >        objectionable material online. This is an important election
> >        issue to me.
> >
> >3. If you're in San Francisco, or near enough to get there, go to
> >   the Rally Against Censorship from Ground Zero of the Digital
Revolution:

> >   WHEN: Monday, December 11, 1995  12:00 - 1:00 PM
> >   WHERE: South Park (between 2nd and 3rd, Bryant and Brannon) San
Francisco.
> [...]
> >             2201 RHOB
> >

> >4. Forward this alert to all of your wired friends.

> >WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE?
> >
> >At this moment, there are several organizations with WWW sites that now
> >have, or will have, information about the net censorship legislation and
> >the National Day Of Protest:
> >
> >American Civil Liberties Union (ftp://ftp.aclu.org/aclu/)
> >Center for Democracy and Technology (http://www.cdt.org/)
> >Electronic Frontier Foundation (http://www.eff.org/)
> >Electronic Privacy Information Center (http://www.epic.org/)
> >Wired Magazine (http://www.hotwired.com/special/indecent/)
> >Voters Telecommunications Watch (http://www.vtw.org/)

> >LIST OF PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
> >
> >In order to use the net more effectively, several organizations have
> >joined forces on a single Congressional net campaign to stop the
> >Communications Decency Act.
> >

> >American Civil Liberties Union * American Communication Association *
> >American Council for the Arts * Arts & Technology Society * Association
> >of Alternative Newsweeklies * biancaTroll productions * Boston
> >Coalition for Freedom of Expression * Californians Against Censorship
> >Together * Center For Democracy And Technology * Centre for Democratic
> >Communications * Center for Public Representation * Citizen's Voice -
> >New Zealand * Cloud 9 Internet *Computer Communicators Association *
> >Computel Network Services * Computer Professionals for Social
> >Responsibility * Cross Connection * Cyber-Rights Campaign * CyberQueer
> >Lounge * Dorsai Embassy * Dutch Digital Citizens' Movement * ECHO
> >Communications Group, Inc. * Electronic Frontier Canada * Electronic
> >Frontier Foundation * Electronic Frontier Foundation - Austin *
> >Electronic Frontiers Australia * Electronic Frontiers Houston *
> >Electronic Frontiers New Hampshire * Electronic Privacy Information
> >Center * Feminists For Free Expression * First Amendment Teach-In *
> >Florida Coalition Against Censorship * FranceCom, Inc. Web Advertising
> >Services * Friendly Anti-Censorship Taskforce for Students * Hands
> >Off!  The Net * Inland Book Company * Inner Circle Technologies, Inc. *
> >Inst. for Global Communications * Internet On-Ramp, Inc. * Internet
> >Users Consortium * Joint Artists' and Music Promotions Political Action
> >Committee * The Libertarian Party * Marijuana Policy Project *
> >Metropolitan Data Networks Ltd. * MindVox * MN Grassroots Party *
> >National Bicycle Greenway * National Campaign for Freedom of Expression
> >* National Coalition Against Censorship * National Gay and Lesbian Task
> >Force * National Public Telecomputing Network * National Writers Union
> >* Oregon Coast RISC * Panix Public Access Internet * People for the
> >American Way * Republican Liberty Caucus * Rock Out Censorship *
> >Society for Electronic Access * The Thing International BBS Network *
> >The WELL * Voters Telecommunications Watch
> >
> >(Note: All 'Electronic Frontier' organizations are independent entities,

*****   Dark Shadow   *****

The "Supreme God of Documentation White Space" in Dogbert's New Ruling Class.

Undercover Suzzallo-CRC inspector.

"Yes, I actually have a TIP patch on my camos."

D'Artagnan - Dark Shadow   |  Live Fast,       | "Have Phantom, Will Travel."
dkshadow@u.washington.edu  |  Shoot Straight,  |
Technical Communications   |  Love Hard,       |             - Bear -
University of Washington   |  Die with         |             Band of the Hand
Seattle, WA  USA           |   your boots on.  |	     TIP#388

*****  CAUTION: Signature file unstable.  *****

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited