Re: Newbe anyone?

to <tenchi@ml.usagi.org>
from John DeMoranville <jdemoran74@attbi.com>
subject Re: Newbe anyone?
date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:48:38 -0500
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:37:01 -0600, Kuuta Kutani wrote:

>I love the older UY-type style.  It has it's own character to it
>which gives
>it something a lot of newer shows seem to lack.

UY is my second favourite Takahashi anime next to Maison Ikkoku. Now
with Macross done, we should see some more DVD boxsets of UY from
AnimEigo soon.

>(Although, I can't say the same thing for a lot of the old Lupin III
>stuff... I have a hard time taking it in [the Cagliostro and Fuma
>movies
>excluded])

I haven't seen alot of Lupin, but of the several movies and few
episodes I've seen, the only one I didn't like was Gold of Babylon.

>It can be a little off-putting at first, to be certain, but if you
>can
>look past the style itself, the technical aspects of it can be very
>impressive
>indeed.  How often I watch an episode of UY and just go "wow..."
>IMO UY has animation of a higher class than a lot of 91-97 shows.

Agreed. The Macross movie(Macross: Do You Remember Love?) was
released back in 1985 and I think it has better animation than most
animated movies made today.

>On the other hand, there's the same thing for the 98-Present run,
the
>(as I call it) digital era of anime.  I used to hate the look, but
>now
>that I've seen a lot of it and I'm getting used to it, I'm actually
>starting to like it a lot. (case in point, Niea_7)

I'm really enjoying Niea_7. I just have one more disc left to watch.
Sometimes though I really just want to kill her.

>I suppose it all really just comes down to giving the different
>styles a
>chance, and letting it grow on you slowly.
>
>(for reference, in my mind I separate anime styles into four groups:
>Pre-80: Early Cel [Yamato, Lupin, etc]
>80-90: Mid Cel [UY, MI, BGC, Proj. A-Ko, etc]
>91-96/97: Height of Cel [Tenchi, AMG, SMJ, Lodoss, etc etc]
>98-present: Digi [Lain, Bebop, etc]
>
>Don't think, tho, that I define these rigidly.  This is just how
>I tend to organize styles in my head.  And of course there are
>exceptions to all of them.  *shrugs*

I don't mind CGI if it looks good. The problem to me seems that
animators are busy trying to show off what they can do with computers
that they sometimes forget that they also need to tell a good story.

--
 John DeMoranville
jdemoran74@attbi.com

Search field Search string