Re: English VA Credits

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from John DeMoranville <jdemoran74@mediaone.net>
subject Re: English VA Credits
date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:21:16 -0500
At 12:01 PM 1/29/2002, Joseph Riggs wrote:
>What's the deal with the English VA credits on anime titles?  Last night, I
>noticed that the voice of Duero in Vandread sounded like Jet and Roger Black
>(Cowboy Bebop and Big O, respectively), and checked the voice listings for
>Vandread and Cowboy Bebop.  Unfortunately, instead of having a list of who
>did which character's voice (as one would find in a standard credits), the
>end credits just had the entire English voice cast in an amalgamated group
>with no indication as to who did what.  Anyone know why that is?  It seems to
>defeat the purpose of credits if you can't tell who did what.
>
>Incidentally, it DOES appear that the English voice cast for Bebop is in
>Vandread, but I can't say that I like the dub nearly as much as I like
>Bebop's dub (I almost always watch titles subbed, but I do like to hear the
>better dubs every now and then).  Some of the Vandread voices are good, while
>others make me wince.

Usually anime voice acting is non-SAG(Screen Actor's Guild) work. Because
of the rules non-SAG roles are not allowed to be credited with their
respective actors. Usually the actors also use stage names when they are
doing non-SAG work. This leads me to believe that when the Cowboy Bebop
movie comes out it will have a different cast for the English dub. Since
Columbia/Tri-Star has the rights to the movie I highly suspect the job of
dubbing will be a SAG production and won't use any non-SAG actors. Most
likely the Bebop actors are a apart of SAG but under different names, and
if they got the job and people realized that they were actually the same
actors who did the non-SAG work for the TV series, they would probably
thrown out of the Screen Actors Guild. I hope this makes sense.

--
John DeMoranville
jdemoran74@mediaone.net

Search field Search string