Re: OT: A Little ' Planet of the Apes ' Help, Please.........

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject Re: OT: A Little ' Planet of the Apes ' Help, Please.........
date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:04:53 -0800

--

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 06:32:25
 Winston Smith wrote:
>I just finished watching this on PPV ( never caught the theatrical
>release.....'course, I'm talking about last years' remake ), and now I
>just wanna know........were we supposed to be able to make some kind of
>SENSE out of that ending, or did Tim Burton just throw that at us
>because he thought it'd be cool, and damn the story continuity?

I haven't actually seen the movie, but I couldn't care less about seeing it,
and got a run down of the ending from someone or something (don't remember
anymore at this point).  Anyway, here's the way I understand it.

>SPOILER SPACE
>( just in case I'm NOT the last one here to see this )

>OK...........lessee..........there's no reason for us to believe that
>the planet Marky Mark crashed into WASN'T an alien world several hundred
>years into his future, is there? Coulda sworn I saw two or three moons
>as his pod was going down...............
>
>So, he went forward in time to crash, while the research station went
>the opposite way to hit the same planet several thousand years earlier
>( which is pretty darned amazing, but I'm willing to let it slide
>)...........the survivors, ape and human, went on to populate the
>planet. That's all clear as a bell, couldn't be any clearer, nope, no
>problems there, es claro........I'm not even gonna ask where the horses
>came from, as I couldn't conceivably care less..........
>
>So how'd General Thade get from that future alien world to Earth's own
>past?
>
>And, if that alien planet turned out ( gasp ) to be ancient ( very
>ancient ) Earth, then how is it that they'd be carvin' marble statues of
>the guy wearing 19th-century clothing thousands of years later?
>
>Does any of this make sense? Am I just denser than I _thought_? Or does
>Tim deserve a good whuppin' for this?

The movie does take place on an alien world (and apparently a seperate
dimension).  Apparently, at one point, one of the apes removes something from
the spaceship which the audience can't see clearly (or something to that
effect).  The general belief is that this item somehow influences the ape
technology so that they are able to construct their own spaceship, and hop
dimensions back to Earth.  They're then able to overrun the planet before the
protagonist gets home.

junior

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited