Re: Some Questions About the OAV Timeline *sigh*

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from "Joseph Riggs" <josephriggs@lycos.com>
subject Re: Some Questions About the OAV Timeline *sigh*
date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 17:03:35 -0800

--

On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 18:40:54
 SC wrote:

>--------------6455B687A9F3B9B6CF843014
>
>Greetings and Happy New Year!
>
>Now, onto the questions!  One Jurai year = how many Earth years?
>Someone told me the answer to this a long time ago but I think I've
>misunderstood something along the way.  I was under the impression that
>1 Jurai year was = to 2.5 Earth years or do I have that backward?

2.5 years is correct.  And its not just Jurai.  It's apparently a galactic
standard (and so would apply to the Galaxy Police and other organizations as
well).  The difference is only really important because Ryoko gives her age
at one point in galactic years (without stating that), while at other points
her age is listed in Earth years.  AFAIK, that's the only time galactic time
is ever used in the OVAs.

>Anyway, I ask this question becuase I keep seeing timelines for the OAV
>posted based on information that is supplied in the TTM novels.  Most
>people consider the novels to be OAV canon.  I'm just checking to see if
>the math adds up.
>
>Another question:  When you're talking about events in the OAV like
>Washuu being imprisoned for 5,000 years or not being able to remember
>things from before 20,000 ago or Ryouko's attack on Jurai 700 hears in
>the past, are we talking Earth years (because that is what most people
>are basing their timelines on) or are we talking Jurai or Galactic
>years, assuming there is actually a difference?  I would think that non
>Earthlings would be more apt to measure the passage of time via a
>galactic or universal timekeeping system and not by any Earthly way of
>doing so.  So, if 1 Jurai year = 2.5 Earth years then Ryouko's attack
>could have happened 700 Jurai years ago which would be equal to 1,750
>Earth years ago. -_-;;  Am I making sense.  (Probably not.) o.O;;

Ryoko's attack took place 700 Earth years ago.  As mentioned above, the only
time that anyone uses galactic years is Ryoko when she's listing her age
(notice how using galactic years makes her much younger?).  Apparently the
general concensus is 'When in Rome...'  Thus, everyone uses the local time
scale by default (which makes sense).

junior

--
Click here for your very own create-a-date adventure from MatchMaker
Go to http://ecard.matchmaker.com/dating.html

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited