Re: Happy Holidays, Old Friends!!!!

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Gregory Himes <gd_himes@yahoo.com>
subject Re: Happy Holidays, Old Friends!!!!
date Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:34:44 -0800 (PST)
--- Kathleen <rocket98@gte.net> wrote:

> We got two new anime for Christmas, the first DVDs of "Crest Of The
> Stars" and
> "Ayashi No Ceres".
> I liked them both, enough to keep watching. But now I remember how
> expensive it
> is to watch series that you have to buy! ;-D
> Everyone but Buck and I thought Crest Of The Stars was boring, but
> even though
> it was slow, it intrigued me.

Yes, it starts real slow, and doesn't really speed up that much at the
end (well, except maybe in the last 10 minutes.  However, it is a
character study, not an action film.  It also is a slow exploration of
the two     ures.
I definitely found Crest of the Stars to be worth it, and it does end
up growing on you like a case of slow moss.
But there are some things you should know...

1 Crest of the Stars is only 13 episodes.
2 Even at the start of the last episode you think it can easily go for
another 13 episodes.
3 There are two more series (13 eps each, I believe), one a prequel,
one a sequel, and a single episode special.  One is, I believe, titled,
"Banner of the Stars."  However, Bandai's US division does not have
distribution rights past the first 13 episodes of Crest -- This is from
the horses (errr..) mouth, as of two weeks ago.  If they get the
rights, expect it to be more than half a year before any part of it is
seen here officially (VHS or DVD).
4 If you are real desperate, and can read Japanese, you can read the
original novels, they are still available at several bookstores (even
here in the US).
5 All the episodes are 25 minutes long, except the last one, which is
40 minutes.  This is an anime that unlike certain things (NGE!) has a
real nice conclusion (well, sort of conclusion).

Fishboy

====

Search field Search string

archive list