Re: (OT) My baka computer (Long) (was Re: Why are the ML posts so few

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Otaku4urd@aol.com
subject Re: (OT) My baka computer (Long) (was Re: Why are the ML posts so few
date Sat, 3 Nov 2001 05:20:44 EST

In a message dated 11/2/01 6:01:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
radhaz@redshift.com writes:

> The first thing I would do is strangle your brother. (^^)

He's coming back into town mid-November to stay w/ us a few months. Your
suggestion is already at the top of my agenda for day one!

> Have you attempted to run Scan Disk (Start

I did that once or twice already before we had to bring it into the shop. If
I remember correctly, it came up with no bad sectors or any other problems.

Oh this little story might give you a chuckle. Remember I said that the shop
had the computer for a week and they were done with it, they said it was
working fine? Well, after we brought it home that evening and fired it up, we
still had all the error messages. No progress at all!

Their receipt said there was a 30 warranty on their work. I called them up
the next day to let them know the problems were still there. I spoke with the
manager and found out what the tech did was put the comp on his table and
turned it on. He then walked away for a while, came back later, saw there
were no error messages and declared it fixed! He deleted a few minor programs
w/o our permission that he said *could* cause conflict in the startup
procedure. For this they wanted to charge $60. They were supposed to call
first before they did any work but didn't do it so they lowered their fee to
$35.

The kicker is that when I reiterated to the manager that the error messages
were still present and there was no change in how it ran, he told me that his
tech had given it a clean bill of health and of course he had to believe what
the tech said! He *generously* offered to let me bring the computer back in
to have the HD reformatted, win98 reinstalled and aol installed for only an
additional $125. Of course that was only if the drivers to win98 were
present. If they had to DL them, it would be around $150!

Needless to say I declined his offer.

Vic

Search field Search string

archive list