Re: Thoughts On Tenchi Universe.......

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Thoughts On Tenchi Universe.......
date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:12:40 -0700
^_^x Kenshin-dono wrote:

> At 02:26 PM 9/30/2001 -0700, Alan Zabaro wrote:
> >Sure, she can be self-sacrificing (though what
> >she does in episode 13 isn't a sacrifice so much as a willingness
> >to admit the truth that she can't keep Tenchi to herself...yet),
> >and she does eventually improve. But I still don't think she's
> >ever as deep or good a character as OAV Ryoko (who's willing to
> >sacrifice part of her identity to allow someone who's suffered
> >like she has a chance at happiness even though she could always
> >tell Tenchi the truth, that Zero is a robotic assassin and
> >wasn't really a part of her...whereas I think that TU
> >Ryoko would gladly have left Aeka to her fate if she could've
> >convinced Tenchi to abandon her). I think TU Ryoko is noble
> *snip*
>
> well we just see it differnt ways, i view TU Ryoko just as good deep down
> as OAV Ryoko, you dismiss her almost killing herself as her just admiting
> she couldn't get Tenchi, but she still put her life on the line for him.

Not exactly; I *do* think TU Ryoko is willing to lose her life to
be with Tenchi...but I don't think she's willing to risk her life
for Aeka's sake if Tenchi isn't going to. OAV Ryoko will let Kagato
trash her pretty thoroughly to keep from incinerating Aeka even
when Tenchi isn't around anymore, so OAV Ryoko will actually
sacrifice herself for Aeka's sake. TU Ryoko will give her life to
save Aeka, but it's for Tenchi's sake...and this is after 20+
episodes. I formed my strongest impression of her on the first
VHS tape, and I hated her almost immediately (definitely by the
middle of episode 2). First impressions are hard to shake...

> Also, in TMIL2 (god i hate that thing, but it is TU cannon) she lives
> rather peacefully with Ayeka. Just because she doesn't seem to get along as
> well with Ayeka in TU as the OAV doesn't mean she's not as good of a person.

You're actually willing to cite Tenchi Forever for support, eh? Well,
I guess that means you feel strongly enough about this that I won't
get anywhere with this argument... ^_^

[...]
> the plot wasn't quite so bad in and of itself as much as the idiotic routes
> it took to fill them and the horrible villan of the week crap they pulled.
> If the story had been told in a less moronic way i might have liked it.

The story does settle down and get more focussed by...I'd say
episode 10, I think. Until then, it can seem like a kid's show
at times, with giant pink cabbit mecha and monsters-of-the-week,
and if you can't stand that stuff...I wonder if you'd like the
show better if you did start 10-15 episodes in. You'd miss some
things, but Shin isn't so complex that it would be hard to figure
out what's going on.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list