Re: Thoughts On Tenchi Universe.......

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org, tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from ^_^x Kenshin-dono <kenshindono@earthlink.net>
subject Re: Thoughts On Tenchi Universe.......
date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:17:08 -0700
At 02:26 PM 9/30/2001 -0700, Alan Zabaro wrote:
>Sure, she can be self-sacrificing (though what
>she does in episode 13 isn't a sacrifice so much as a willingness
>to admit the truth that she can't keep Tenchi to herself...yet),
>and she does eventually improve. But I still don't think she's
>ever as deep or good a character as OAV Ryoko (who's willing to
>sacrifice part of her identity to allow someone who's suffered
>like she has a chance at happiness even though she could always
>tell Tenchi the truth, that Zero is a robotic assassin and
>wasn't really a part of her...whereas I think that TU
>Ryoko would gladly have left Aeka to her fate if she could've
>convinced Tenchi to abandon her). I think TU Ryoko is noble
*snip*

well we just see it differnt ways, i view TU Ryoko just as good deep down
as OAV Ryoko, you dismiss her almost killing herself as her just admiting
she couldn't get Tenchi, but she still put her life on the line for him.
Also, in TMIL2 (god i hate that thing, but it is TU cannon) she lives
rather peacefully with Ayeka. Just because she doesn't seem to get along as
well with Ayeka in TU as the OAV doesn't mean she's not as good of a person.

*shrug* i think they're both on the whole very close to eachother in
personality, certainly a hell of a whole lot more than in Shin which is
what this whole thread started about

>Washu in OAV - genius. Washu in TU - mad scientist whose
>inventions are flaky, unreliably, and more of a danger to
>those using the device than to anybody else. Washu in Shin -
>mad scientist whose inventions actually work, albeit not
>always seriously.

and someone who also tries to steal from a bedridden Sassami. All the Shin
characters are jerks.

>Now as far as the plot...that's subjective. I didn't think TU's
>plot was any more intelligent than Shin's, and IMO Shin leaps
>ahead of TU in integrating the plot into the whole series,
>instead of just using it to move the 2nd half of the series
>along while inserting loads of filler episodes. But if the
>whole Yugi/Sakuya/crystal thing seems stupid to you, there's
>not much story in Shin for you to like.

the plot wasn't quite so bad in and of itself as much as the idiotic routes
it took to fill them and the horrible villan of the week crap they pulled.
If the story had been told in a less moronic way i might have liked it.

^_^x KD
"There are worse things out tonight than vampires"
"like what?"
"Like me"-Blade

Search field Search string

archive list