Re: Oh what to buy!!! (OT)

to <tenchi@ml.usagi.org>
from "Tsunami's Knight" <tsunamisknight@net1000.zzn.com>
subject Re: Oh what to buy!!! (OT)
date Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:04:26 -0400
John DeMoranville writes:
> Just a word of caution about Moldiver.  I don't know if you're a dub or
> sub fan, but the subtitles on Moldiver are dubtitles(exactly same
> translation as the English dub).

I'm a fan of both actually.  It all depends on the show and the quality of the
dub.
ie:  El Hazard has a great dub in my opinion, but the CCS dub is a
god-awful piece of decaying beef.

>Apparently when Pioneer went to put
> Moldiver on DVD, they found out that the subtitle(acurate translation)
> had been lost. Rather than re-translating it or getting the subs from a
> laserdisc, they decided to use the closed-captioned subtitles(dub
> translation).  FYI, this is what I have been told. I didn't buy the disc
> due to dubtitles and if anyone on the list has the disc, I'm sure they
> can confirm the dubtitles.

That does suck.  Even if the dub was of great quality, I would like to see
accuracy in the subs to compare them with the dub.  There would be absolutely
no

point in subtitling the show if they're going to use the dub translations.
That

does knock out some of the show's appeal, but if the dub is decent, then it
might be worth it.  I'm not one of those people who simply must have either the
sub or dub.  I usually tend to like both unless the voice actors or the scripts
for the dub are really out of whack.

Joshua Lee
Member of:  The Chruch of the Advent of Tsunamiism, #WASHU#, #SAS#, #TMML#,
Always and Achika, Black Knight of KOME, AFC, #FFML2#
http://www.fanfiction.net/index.fic?action=directory-authorprofile&UserId=80241
- my personal profile

Search field Search string

archive list