Re: Stupid Tenchi questions

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Stupid Tenchi questions
date Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:11:11 -0800
MoiraRose@aol.com wrote:

> --part1_37.102345da.27aa2fbd_boundary
>
> Hello all,
> I'm new here, a byproduct of the CN edited dub airing, so I'm going to ask
> some patently stupid questions. Brace yourselves for my utter ignorance!

Fairly detailed questions for someone brought in on the CN dub.
Have you been lurking on the list for a while, or did you just
recently join? I ask because it seems we like we suddenly get
a bunch of new active posters (even if they only stay active
for a little while) every time CN airs the OAVs.

> Does Kajishima's mention (in the interview on AIC's site) of True Tenchi
> novel characters showing up in the third OVA (Seto, right?) mean that these
> novels can now be considered canon?

No. At the very least, what Kajishima says now is subject to change.
We'll have to wait until the episodes are out to be sure.

> If yes, does that mean Tenchi's mom's name is Kiyone now?

Not necessarily. It's been pointed out that the Tenchi 101 has a
picture of Mihoshi's partner from TU next to Kiyone station on
the map showing where characters got their names. Since Tenchi's
mother had been introduced by episode 5 (before Tenchi 101 was
written), the association of a non-OAV character with the name
Kiyone may be significant.

> This would mean that the Hasegawa novels aren't canon, right?

I wouldn't have considered them canon until they were referenced
by an OAV episode, or another piece of canon. At this point, I
think it's unlikely that the Hasegawa novels will become canon...

[...]
> We're each of the movies publicly promoted as belonging to those respective
> continuities? Even (despite plotholes) Manatsu no Eve?

I know that TMiL2 was promoted to be associated with Universe,
though I don't remember if the promotion tried to make the
point that the movie strictly followed the events in Universe
(as opposed to being related to the characters and events from
TU).

> I know someone who insists vehemently that none of the Tenchi movies are set
> in any of the previously established continuities, that they're all just
> based on mixing aspects of the OVA and TV series together. Is this true?

A matter of opinion.

> If Makibi Kiyone arrives in the third OVA, would MnE be canon then? Or are
> there too many other plotholes to consider?

Some consider MnE canon now; others think there are far too many
plotholes for it to ever be canon. Personally, I would need at
least the following to occur:

1) New OAV episodes reference MnE (so baby Mayuka would be present
in OAV 3)

OR

2) New elements are introduced in OAV 3 that would allow MnE to
take place afterwards; these would include the arrival of Kiyone,
Tenchi's mastery of his LHW, the people in the cast starting
to refer to the LHW as the LH Sword (and making the sword the
primary manifestation of Tenchi's LHW), resolution of the goddess
storyline in a way that doesn't substantially alter any of the
characters from what we see in MnE (so the Ryoko-Aeka conflict
over Tenchi wouldn't be resolved, Sasami wouldn't assimilate
with Tsunami, etc.)

> Why does Tenchi refer to his mom as "Grandma" (OVA episode 5's flashback) in
> the dub? That doesn't make sense at all!

Translation error. Kagato's speech at the end of episode 6
("Tenchi can't be copied") is another translation error.

[...]
> Is Seto Washuu's daughter, Naja's daughter, or Naja herself? I've heard so
> many conflicting rumors! I'm confused as to how she could possibly be
> Washuu's daughter, as it was Naja and not Washuu that went missing on the
> planet where Seto was found.

The information I've gotten about TTM from Kaz's synopses and
ML postings doesn't include any information about Seto's origin
(though IIRC Tenchiken speculates that Seto *is* Naja, somehow
changed; I can only imagine this being done by Tokimi or "Z").
I don't think we can really say if there is any relationship between
Naja and Seto.

> Can anybody give me some detail as to how Kagato is Naja's clone? Did she
> make him using her DNA? Did he steal her form?

I haven't heard anything about TTM mentioning this. I had originally
thought Kagato was created by Washu based on Naja, but when CuSO4
posted an accounting of the people Washu created according to TTM
there didn't seem to be any room for Kagato.

[...]
> Why doesn't that two-timing Yousho do right by Aeka? He's single now.

He was just as single in episode 5, and effectively single 700
years ago. Yosho's reluctance to marry Aeka doesn't look like
it's due to being previously married to another woman (since
he married an Earth woman, after all).

> Why does Pioneer spell it "Ayeka" anyway? That doesn't look at all like a
> proper romanization by any method.

Don't know. Maybe because a naive English pronunciation would treat
the first two characters as one sound (either a long "a", or like
the ae in "Aegean", or something else that sounds even less correct)?

> Why does Second Generation Ryououki seem to be part rabbit when the only
> organic beings she's merged with so far are Chibi and the Mass?

Don't know, but remember that Ryo-Ohki seemed part rabbit before she
merged with the Mass.

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list