Re: is this kanji right?

to <tenchi@ML.usagi.org>
from "Sasami-chan" <b4506062@csie.ntu.edu.tw>
subject Re: is this kanji right?
date Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:04:32 +0800
Hello everyone!

^_^x Kenshin-dono wrote:

> At 12:29 PM 2/1/01 +0800, 'CuSO4' Yung wrote:
> >> From: "Sasami-chan" <b4506062@csie.ntu.edu.tw>
> >> http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b4506062/goldmonkey.gif
> >These should be the correct characters.  The character "Gold"
> >in Chinese can mean Gold, or can be the short form of Metal.
> >In this case, Kenshin-dono is referring to one of the five
> >elements : Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, Earth.  So the character
> >needed is indeed "Gold".
> what the bloody hell? err isn't there just a charicter for Metal itself?
or
> does metal and gold mean the same thing in chinese? AHHH im confused as
hell!
No. The word for "metal" is

http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b4506062/metal.gif

which is the combination of two seperate characters.

However, as with many other words/phrases in Chinese,
you can abbreviate the term "metal" by taking its prefix,
in this case, the first character, and attach it to another
character, "monkey", to get "metal monkey". :)

> just clarification, these are the Chinese, not Japanese characters for
> Metal monkey right?
http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b4506062/goldmonkey.gif
is correct in both Japanese and Chinese. :)
I think CuSO4 has confirmed this so you don't have
to worry about getting the wrong tag made. ^_-

CheerS!
Sasami-chan

Search field Search string

archive list