Re: Japanese DVD with Mihoshi/Sound File

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Gregory Himes <gd_himes@yahoo.com>
subject Re: Japanese DVD with Mihoshi/Sound File
date Wed, 3 May 2000 06:41:17 -0700 (PDT)
--- gemmes@offratel.nc wrote:
> I guess it should be possible to make this with PC
> software decoder
> now...

Yes, but it probably won't be done, as such an
implemented feature would be available to only the
user of that specific software (it's can't be part of
the data stream on the disc, it must be all external
to it).

> It seems there's a fight ongoing between DVD-audio
> and Sony's/Philipps
> S-CD (Super CD) format.

Can't be much of a fight, I've seen players and discs
for SCD, none for DVD.  They even have CD/SCD hybrids
already.

> have the DVD industry moved its *** about making the
> 19Gb DVD ? the only
> one
> big enough to hold HDTV to a certain extent ?

DVD format has always been multi-layer, but they are
currently only supporting dual-layer (5+GB per side).
However, that is not what the problem is.
HDTV of any sort is not supported AT ALL by DVD
hardware or standards.
My GUESS, is that MPEG-4 will be the method around
this.  Currently video compression technology uses
MPEG-2.  MPEG-3 was scrapped (this was not MP3).
Don't know about MPEG-4 for sure, as I can't find or
get official details.

Gregory Himes

Search field Search string

archive list