OT: Computer translators and their translations

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Andrew Turner <turner@mikomi.org>
subject OT: Computer translators and their translations
date Sat, 1 Apr 2000 03:11:50 -0500
On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:08:59PM -0500, Andrew Turner wrote:
> You might want to give the translator that Mozilla uses a try, it seems to
> work better then any of the other translators I've come across.  It is
> actually capable of creating complete sentences.  It's on the menus in
> Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) or you *might* be able to use the link without it:
>
> http://cgi.netscape.com/cgi-bin/translate.cgi?AlisUI=simple_frames/ns_home&AlisTargetURI

> However it seems to rely on XML, style sheets and some of the other wacky
> features that Mozilla is built on, so with other browsers YMMV.

Well, I've played with it a bit and have some examples of what it is capable
of...

I fed ye olde OVA 3 questionnaire through it (this took about a minute).  It
seems to do names surprisingly well, unfortunately everything else is worse.
I do appreciate the fact that Mayuka gets translated to "Flax reason bloom".

http://turner.mikomi.org/ques2moz.html

Contrast to the version from one of the now defunct translation services
(this took several hours, manually feeding stuff in a sentence at a time).
(This version also had very minor editing where I changed "World
Businessless" into "Tenchi Muyo" and "Imperial Ogre" into Ryo-ohki.  It is
rather had to guess how it translated "Tenchi Muyo" into "World
Businessless"...)

http://turner.mikomi.org/ques2.html

And of course, the human edited version:

http://turner.mikomi.org/ques2cooked.html

I tried translating the first Chapter of Aikan Muyo into Japanese and back.
The results are entertaining, beyond the normal double computer translation
fun it seems to have rewritten all of the sentences into the passive tense.

http://turner.mikomi.org/aikan1-moz.txt

Is this all really that interesting?  Maybe it's just me...

--
Andy <turner@mikomi.org> - http://anime.mikomi.org/ - Community Anime Reviews
Membership de l'email: #WEIRD#

Search field Search string