Re: The Masu Rule. (Followup to the Gems Rule.)

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: The Masu Rule. (Followup to the Gems Rule.)
date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:54:17 -0800
Timothy Alan Weaver wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Peter Gray wrote:
>
> <<The Masu are literally the "Base of All."
>  That does not mean that they are actually the basis of
>  the universe.  They are just a simple, gelatinous
>  lifeform.  Their name is derived from their
>  exceptionally basic nature. The Masu are just above
>  basic quintessence, but are stuck in a state of
>  permanent "goopiness." They can take any path of
>  development possible under ordinary physical rules,
>  but like Hamlet, they choose "not to be", hence just
>  definitionless sludge.>>
>
> Hey!  Is it me or were those shapechanging blobs on Pretty Sammy OVA 3
> Masu?  Becuase it sounds like it to me.

No, they were another type of blobby variable-shape alien who picked
up mental and emotional influences from the people they came in
contact with. One noticeable difference was that the critters in
Pretty Sammy seemed to get locked into a particular shape and mindset
after their first contact with another thinking being, IIRC. In
contrast, the Masu seem to remain pretty vulnerable to influence
(Ryo-Ohki's will originally causes the Masu to form the humanoid,
but later forces the humanoid form to merge with her). The Masu
also seem pretty simplistic in terms of the influence they can accept
("help Tenchi") vs. what the things in Pretty Sammy were able to
pick up (learning language, assumption of another being's identity
and powers).

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list