Re: Rule of Assimilation.

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Alan Zabaro <azabaro@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Rule of Assimilation.
date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:31:10 -0800
Kuuta Kutani wrote:

> Peter Gray wrote:
> >

> *snip knifty stuff*
>
> > It also appears that Tsunami isn't actually associated
> > with any tree, contrary to the impression created by
> > the Jurai, but is rather contained within the water
> > they derive sustenance from.
> >
> > No... That's not quite correct....
> >
> > Whatever source there is for the water, is where you
> > will find Tsunami.
>
> that may very well be.
> think OVA 11.  The water channel Dr. Clay and Zero rode
> down.  It started at Tokimi's place and continued down
> into space. and there was a __BIG__ tree there, too.
>
> maybe Tokimi and Tsunami are alike in that respect?
> tho Washuu will be an enigma for a while.

Yes, but Tokimi doesn't manifest in the water like Tsunami
does. Although now that I come to think of it, Tsunami
doesn't manifest in the water all that often; in episodes
6 and 9 for example, we see Tsunami manifest in the "real"
world, and Sasami as the watery reflection. Also in episode
9, several people catch glimpses of Tsunami wandering around
where there isn't any water (inside the inn, for example).

On reflection, I think that the pattern to look at wouldn't
be who manifests with respect to what, but reflection
itself. Doesn't Washu refer to aspect of Souja she's trapped
in as "the Reversed World" (and when Mihoshi gets trapped
in there, doesn't she show up as a reflection in the floor,
relative to Ryoko and Aeka)? You get a whole heap of
symbolism out of the reflection motif (especially because
the reflections generally aren't in agreement with each
other; possible pairs to look at would be child and adult
Washu, Ryoko and Zero, Sasami and Tsunami [aka child and
adult Sasami], maybe even Yosho and Katsuhito. I'm not sure
what to do with other characters in that respect, but it
would be interesting to try to work Tokimi in somehow,
especially if it involved explaining why D3 claimed that
Clay was in Tokimi's presence the whole time, even though
he couldn't perceive her.)

Alan Zabaro

Search field Search string

archive list