Re: anime as cult clasics?

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Mark Clifton <mclifton@hawaii.edu>
subject Re: anime as cult clasics?
date Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:05:44 -0500
Tenchi MP wrote:

> anyone see siskle last night... or ebert.. whichever is the dude thats
> still alive. Anyway i was chanel surfing late and he had a special on cult
> clasics, rockey horror picture show (which i hate) Evil dead 2 (which i
> love) ect.. he mentioned kiki's delivery service and they went on to imply
> that anime in general is in a cult clasic catagory...
>
> I was just wondering what you all thought of that. Personaly i think its
> stupid, anime is just another form to tell a story and you cant clump it
> together for any purpouse. Also, i havent seen Kiki's delivery service,
> would that count as a cult clasic? hmm... what would some of you consider a
> cult clasic in the anime form.. i cant really think of any

I did watch Ebert lastnight too, he wasn't calling Anime a "Cult
Classic", but a "Cult Following".  And he is right, Anime can be
considered as a Cult (its not really mainstream, but people flock for it
anyway).  A cult doesn't have to be always a classic nor have to be some
box office flop.  If you had watched the entire show, you would have
known this and not ask this question.  Besides, not everybody likes the
same movies you do, that other guy choose Kiki's Delivery Service as a
favorite cult film of HIS.  Everybody is entitled for their own
opionions, especially when they get to be on TV. ^_^

--
Mark Clifton - ICQ #4284509

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My Personal Homepage