Re: The Map of the Whole World. Special!

to <tenchi@ML.usagi.org>
from "Dr. Briefs" <brief@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: The Map of the Whole World. Special!
date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:24:28 -0800
On Monday, January 31, 2000 9:18 PM, "Luriko-Ysabeth" <iac@umich.edu> wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, replicant wrote:
>>Oh yeah. Could you please stop posting these
>>exercises in beatnik complications within Tenchi
>>Muyo! and it's effect on communist society.
><shrugs> It's Tenchi-related, it's interesting, and I enjoy reading it. On
>any mailing list, there will occasionally occur on-topic threads which
>some people have no interest in. This is one of the hazards of a mailing
>list. Treat it the way I do "who would win" threads; delete it if you
>don't want to read it.

Well said.  If so many different off-topic stuff can be allowed here (wasn't
the internet term for this "noise"?), then certainly on-topic stuff should
be allowed.

The only problem I have with the stuff Peter posts is that often, I find the
premise he bases his theories on to be faulty.  Many a times I found myself
reading certain things that are, according to Peter, supposed to be how they
are in certain cultures/beliefs..  particularly those that relate to Chinese
culture.  Yet I, a Chinese guy, have not found these things to be true in
Chinese culture/belief.

Now, unless Peter has spent much of his formative years in an environment
where he is among Chinese people, and where the culture of the Chinese
people is the norm of that environment, I kind of doubt that what he says is
true when it contradicts what I have known, growing up as a Chinese.

Actually, most of what he says as the basis of his theories don't directly
contradict stuff I know, but they're "off."  As in "not entirely correct."
That is to say, they are very similar in meaning, but completely differently
in usage.  That is what I meant by "faulty."  It may not matter in general
usage as much (there's always a certain amount of leniency given to a
foreigner in regards to their usage of things from your culture), but when
used to formulate theories, one little thing can completely obliterate the
theory.

This is why I normally don't read too far into Peter's posts.  Most of the
time, I'll read a little bit, until I see something "faulty," and then just
hit the "delete" button.  A couple of years ago, I probably would have taken
time to point out the things that were incorrect, but these days, I normally
don't have much time to do so...

--
Glenn Wang <brief@ix.netcom.com>, http://capsule.bayside.net/
      Proud member of #SAS# and Co-Founder of #WASHU#

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs