IS IT WASHU? Re: (OT)Earthquakes

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from Kathleen Faulconer <rocket88@ix.netcom.com>
subject IS IT WASHU? Re: (OT)Earthquakes
date Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:43:33 -0700
Kevin Aw wrote:

>   Well, like Dan said, it isn't actually strange that we're seeing tons of
> earthquakes.

True. Dan, succinct as always, did make a point. There are a lot of earthquakes,
period. And it does seem that there are patterns, particularly the Orient and
the Americas. BUT these are major. AND, how many of you have heard of the "Black
Hole" theory going around?

A very poor retelling of a story retold to me, a la Urban Legend:
Apparently it is all over some of the colleges that we are going to be gone by
November, due to scientists on the east coast in a hidden lab (closet under the
stairs?) doing experiments with a "atom smashing machine" (Washu?) According to
what I have heard (and it is not scientific!) apparently they are doing
something with something (pretty vague, huh?) to "see what happens" and have
come up with something matter they can't identify (The Mass?).  If they have
succeeded in making a black hole, it will cause (or has?) earthquakes and
weather disturbances, on a large scale, before we all are sucked into it.
Hmmm...
Stephen Hawkings (when he talks, we listen) apparently has talked about backing
out of the project and warned against continuing it, but to no avail. I was
going to mention this a while ago, because I thought it was funny (and not
real), because it sounded so much like Washu....now it might not be so funny!

> > I wonder if this is part of any kind of prophecy.
>
>   But there are definately prophecies that predict <ominous voice> "we will
> begin to see many earthquakes as we near the year 2000..."  </ominous voice>
> .. but its so vague that most of them are not of any use BEFORE the
> incident.  Only after... 8)

Trouble with all this (PLEASE, no religious discussions because of these
comments, ok?)
is that it seems silly if you think about it.
One reason is that even if you are a major believer in Jesus, why would he want
to destroy the world a week after one of his bigger Birthdays? (You know,
special ones:16th, 18th, 21st, 40th, 65 th,1000th, 2000th, etc.....

The other main reason I can't get into the doomsday prophecy is that our
calendar isn't even based on real dates or events that started "day one". As far
as I know, "We" just made it up.
"We don't really know what we are doing so....Let's start the calendar next
Tuesday".....

Uh...I dunno, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me that it can mean anything to
hit the y2k.

Kathleen (still worried about Japan, and now Mexico...geeesh)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs