Re: Reviews..TNT4 and Pretty Sammy TV!

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Kathleen Faulconer <rocket88@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Reviews..TNT4 and Pretty Sammy TV!
date Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:11:06 -0700
Tenchiken wrote:

> Spoilers for STM.

> >Wellllllll......boy, what can I say that I have not already said? It just
> >doesn't get any better. :-(
>
> Actually, the next tape has my second favorite Shin Episode, but the
> crap is really going to hit the fan w/ that episode.

Oh, I think I know. I assume it is the "kiss" and Ryoko's reaction?
Well, I am looking forward to that ep too, if just because it may interject some
serious tones that the series desperately needs. I think I have asked you this
before, but now I have forgotten...does it get less SD and silly? Or are there some

serious eps and mostly rediculous eps scattered through the whole series?
I remember hearing a long time ago that the show got a lot better, as did the
quality of the animation and art, as it went along. I think we are now half done
and don't see much of that yet!

> >Oh yeah, it was about a really awfully mean Sasami yelling at Ryo-ohki for
> >breaking something she didn't break (kinda a poor takeoff off the OAV ep 10)
> >and making her run away. The way that Sasami was portrayed was even worse than

> >what they do to Ryoko most of the time!
>
> Sasami is def going thru puberty in this series.

No kidding! I suppose that is one way to look at it. ;-)

> >The third show was a totally different mood. Maybe there is a pattern here
> >that every third show is more a part of the mytharc but I haven't paid enough
> >attention to notice?
>
> The important element in the Nobuyuki and Cabbit episodes is the
> relationship betweeen Sakuya and Tenchi. Watch Carefully.

Ahem....could you possibly tell me just how many Kahlua's on the rocks it takes to

watch this show carefully? (^_-)

But, I suppose you are right, there was a tiny bit of character development here.

But is Sakuya really wierd? She had such a funny reaction to Tenchi's comments on

their relationship, I just wondered if it was supposed to be like that or if it was

an translation (translation of feeling, actually) error. She just kinda went blank

and then became almost manic in her sunnyness! I don't think that is how we have
seen her act before. Maybe it is just a tactic to show Tenchi that she is not too

concerned with his inability to commit?
(geesh, am I writing as if this show has meaning? oh oh)

> Where everyone else
> >was was fighting Yuugi, and Ryoko took a hell of a beating. She had some beam
> >go right through her neck in a very ugly scene and afterwords looked a lot
> >like Goldenboy in his begging mode! Hideous! Huge eye socket with a bulging
> >eye, her mouth was very small and she looked long dead! But she was evidently
> just
> >really messed up for a while and soon was fine! Geeez!
>
> Ahh... I remember this episode now. It is kinda harsh episode. The Yuugi +
> Sasami relationship is definitely enigmatic the entire series.

It is the most interesting part. And the most seriously played. This show is so
uneven. I still remember reading the synopsis and thinking that the story was
pretty darn good. It is very hard to relate the show I see to the one I read.

> >An interesting note on these episodes....
> >There were several references to the earlier series! That was so strange
> >that I was almost angry because it showed that *someone* had been paying
> >attention and STILL made this show!!! Noboyuki spoke to his dead wife and when

> he was doing this a picture of Achika appeared! Right out of the movie, as if it

> was copied from one frame of the movie! Then a moment later, Tenchi's mother from

> the OAV (with the bluish hair and parasol) appeared! I guess it was supposed to

> be her
> >at a later time. But that really freaked me out!
>
> I did think the combination was freaky. Also note that this series never gives
> a name to Tenchi's mother either. I also find Nobuyuki's entire situation w/
> Sakuya great (Sakuya reminds him a lot of Achika/Kiyonne/Whoever she is)

No, the combination wasn't what freaked me out. It was the fact that the
character(s) were shown! It was a strange feeling that there was some continuety to

the original shows, and it was so surprising! I just thought that it seemed a huge

waste if the people involved in THIS show had ever seen the original and chose to

make this instead.

I can really only tolerate Shin if I don't watch, like if I have my back turned to

the tv. It may play ok as a radio drama. I am sorry that I never have become used

to the art and crazyness that is the visual here. It would make it a lot more
tolerable.

I do see that there is a strange attraction with Nobuyuki to Sakuya. But I don't
think it is hentai, or was not supposed to appear that way. I think you are right

that he sees his wife in her and wants that for Tenchi. He has come off as the
nicest character in this show, other than Sakuya who has a questionable mental
state. <grin> He seems pretty desperate to see Tenchi with her, probably because he

did love...... whoever his wife was!

Kathleen

Search field Search string

archive list