Re: Aeka Fan, A(y)eka Spellings, and K. T. Vogt

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: Aeka Fan, A(y)eka Spellings, and K. T. Vogt
date Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:14:36 +0200 (METDST)
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Luriko-Ysabeth wrote:

> >     Furthermore, who the hell cares about "proper spelling."  This is
> > romanji for crying out loud.  A false language, a phonetical translation of
>
> Roomaji. The only time i get *truly* annoyed at a roomaji-ization is when
> said transliteration CANNOT be pronounced the way the original sounds
> without great leeway, such as needed for the proper pronunciation of
> Taliaferro and Cholmondeley (Tolliver and Chumley, respectively).
>
> Well, except for Tokio. That *is* a valid representation if one uses
> consonantal i, but I keep wanting to bat the hundred-years-past writers

Not really. It makes you pronounce the o's too short. There's hardly
a Japanese lesson that goes by without my teacher having to correct
me on that.

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.
   A Homepage for Elektra: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~borgward/
   AnT - Animeclub fuer Deutschland: http://www.online.de/home/Rumiya/ant/
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string