Re: [OT]

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Kevin Aw <kevinaw@home.com>
subject Re: [OT]
date Sat, 01 May 1999 15:44:18 -0700
Andy Sze wrote:

> >..just don't get me started on the many faults of mainland China's
> >simplified style.
>
> I don't see simplified Chinese too often in the States.  Is simplified
> chinese widely used in China?  Taiwan?  HK?  Singapore?  Or do I just not
> notice it because I'm and ABC and can't really read too much?

  I think HK, Singapore and Taiwan use more the traditional characters...
much less simplifications.  However, the standardized set of simplified
characters seem to come from Mainlanders... (I see them write that way .. and
sometimes it's a source for confusion... "what the hell character is that?..
oh"  )  Since most immigrants to this side of the Pacific are usually from
HK, Taiwan and Singapore.. and fewer Mainlanders, there's probably less
exposure to those simplified characters.
--
------
Kevin Aw <kevinaw@home.com>

Search field Search string