Re: anime-int.com's new look

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from "Dr. Briefs" <brief@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: anime-int.com's new look
date Sat, 01 May 1999 00:29:24 -0700
We've been led to believe that at 01:27 AM 5/1/99 -0500, Billy Ting wrote:
>Ok, one final thought.  For those Chinese/Japanese out there who might
>understand what I'm talking about.  Since Japanese originated from Chinese
>some of the characters are the same in the Japanese language (hence people
>like me may be able to read some of the words).  Are the Chinese characters
>in the Japanese language in simplified style (jieng tee) or traditional
>style (fang tee)?

For the most part, they use the traditional style.  Any simplifications you
see came about through the evolution of the writing system that went on in
Japan.  They're not "acquiring" more Chinese characters from China.

Though it should be noted that they probably also created a few more kanjis
in the process.

came about much later than when the simplifications of various kanji took
place in Japan, so if anything, it is more likely that some of the
simplified words you see in mainland China today were "inspired" by kanji
used in Japan.

...just don't get me started on the many faults of mainland China's
simplified style.

--
Glenn Wang <brief@ix.netcom.com>, http://www.netcom.com/~brief/
   Friends Theme Pack - http://capsule.bayside.net/friends/