Re: [long] AIC Copyrights

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from "Dr. Briefs" <brief@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: [long] AIC Copyrights
date Sat, 01 May 1999 00:21:29 -0700
We've been led to believe that at 01:25 AM 5/1/99 -0500, Billy Ting wrote:
>I was just browsing the net when I came across this posting of an e-mail:
[snip]
>If we continue to have problems we may just have to revoke all image
>use and take people to court for international copyright abuse.  We'd
>rather it didn't come to that since we would like to encourage our fans.
>But if they continue to hurt us by ignoring us, we will have no other
>choice but to protect our copyrights.

>Bill MacPhee
>AIC, Japan
[snip

>This e-mail was sent to the webring master/mistress of The Anime Ring
>(yeah, the one with like 600 members).  I tried visiting the link provided
>in the e-mail but unfortunately it was broken.  It seemed like they were
>trying a tactic similar to Gainax's but I guess it didn't catch on.

As I understand it, Bill MacPhee no longer works for AIC(?)

This means that the message you read is pretty old.  And since AIC has
changed the format of their site many times after that, it's no wonder you
can't find the link anymore.  But basically what AIC was asking for was
that if you have a web site, and the contents of your web site pertains to
a series that AIC is responsible, that you state somewhere on your page
regarding the copyrights of the series (that it belongs to AIC), and place
a link to their web site.

Unlike what Gainax wants, which is to use only the images they have listed
on their page, or images you created on your own (but be approved by
Gainax), and nothing else.

--
Glenn Wang <brief@ix.netcom.com>, http://www.netcom.com/~brief/
   Friends Theme Pack - http://capsule.bayside.net/friends/