Re: Music, Sound, and Anime (Was Re: Live Action (Re: OAV series))

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Kathleen Faulconer <rocket88@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Music, Sound, and Anime (Was Re: Live Action (Re: OAV series))
date Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:02:49 +0000
Shuichi Koga wrote:

>   > [snip]
>   >     I think this is so because so much effort was spent into the
>   >     visual detail surrounding the characters and their environments.
>   >     No one talks about going to hear a movie.  So it's nice to be
>   >     able to go see a movie that people will appreciate *seeing*.
>   > [snip]
>
> While I absolutely agree with you that visual detail in a movie is
> great, I beg to differ with you about the importance of music and
> sound in movies. What about the stunning way in which music is done in
> Glory? The Sound of Music? My Fair Lady? Or the atmospheric mood set
> by the music in Jaws? The popularity of movie soundtracks?

While I didn't see Eugenes comments as meaning that music was unimportant, I
do agree that it can make a "great" movie into a "glorious" movie. Now, if
you hate musicals..this is a moot point! But if it is a soundtrack that
brings so much more emotion into a scene than would otherwise be there, you
have a much better chance at winning an audience. For instance, (although I
am loath to bring it up, it is undenyable) the Titanic soundtrack. The
emotion and haunting sorrowful mood that this music created did much to pull
in the audience. I dare say that it even helped remove the obvious
miscasting of Leonardo as the leading man. (flame suit on) For me, the music
made the movie....that and that my next door neighbor (special effects
coordinator) made a big chunk of the movie too!
But I am a fan of soundtracks and musicals!

> And let's not forget sound effects. One of the funniest, most
> memorable scenes in Delicatessan involves creaky springs ^_^;; Btw,
> if y'all haven't seen Delicatessan, you should go rent it out and see
> it. It's quite a remarkable film, but it might not be suitable for
> young 'uns (if you see it you'll know what I mean).

Delicatessan was a great and totally twisted movie!!!!! Yes, it is one not
to miss. Don't have a full stomach and keep the kids occupied elsewhere....

> Getting this back to Tenchi a bit, it seems to me that music is
> extremely important as a way in which the audience can figure out what
> a person is like. Take, for example, the musical theme for Aeka. It's
> got a very serene feel to it, very controlled. Contrast that with,
> say, Mihoshi, whose theme music seems to be very upbeat, lively,
> fun. My two lasting impressions of Kagato are his laugh and his
> playing the organ. Do other people equate characters in Tenchi with
> music/sounds? How about scenes?

Totally. The "Tenchi" music AND sound effects are very important to me. In
fact, one of the first things I noticed with Shin was that the familiar
music was not there. It robbed the show of a big connection to the original
series and made it seem that much farther removed from the show(s) we love.
Although I don't really associate the "themes" with each character, the
familiar tunes are almost as precious to me as the characters themselves.
They are integral to the show. Even the "transport" sound of Ryoko moving
through objects, the "YOOOO!" disembodied voice when something strange has
happened (TV mostly), the "Pray for the dead" tune when someone has
apparently died or died of humiliation.....all of it is really great. And
the one tune "Ryo-ohki"? that seems to start the mornings off is so familiar
and comforting that it is glaringly missing in Shin.
Not to mention the haunting music that accompanies Ryoko's death scene and
several other scenes that are poignient.

I love Tenchi music, and I adore almost all the songs. It is one of the
wonderful things that makes this anime shine above the rest for me.
Kathleen

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited