Music, Sound, and Anime (Was Re: Live Action (Re: OAV series))

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Shuichi Koga <SKoga@CS.Washington.EDU>
subject Music, Sound, and Anime (Was Re: Live Action (Re: OAV series))
date 01 Apr 1999 00:27:55 -0800

  > [snip]
  >     I think this is so because so much effort was spent into the
  >     visual detail surrounding the characters and their environments.
  >     No one talks about going to hear a movie.  So it's nice to be
  >     able to go see a movie that people will appreciate *seeing*.
  > [snip]

While I absolutely agree with you that visual detail in a movie is
great, I beg to differ with you about the importance of music and
sound in movies. What about the stunning way in which music is done in
Glory? The Sound of Music? My Fair Lady? Or the atmospheric mood set
by the music in Jaws? The popularity of movie soundtracks?

And let's not forget sound effects. One of the funniest, most
memorable scenes in Delicatessan involves creaky springs ^_^;; Btw,
if y'all haven't seen Delicatessan, you should go rent it out and see
it. It's quite a remarkable film, but it might not be suitable for
young 'uns (if you see it you'll know what I mean).

Getting this back to Tenchi a bit, it seems to me that music is
extremely important as a way in which the audience can figure out what
a person is like. Take, for example, the musical theme for Aeka. It's
got a very serene feel to it, very controlled. Contrast that with,
say, Mihoshi, whose theme music seems to be very upbeat, lively,
fun. My two lasting impressions of Kagato are his laugh and his
playing the organ. Do other people equate characters in Tenchi with
music/sounds? How about scenes?

Shuichi

--
=   Shuichi Koga (That's Shoo eechi) : SKoga@CS.Washington.EDU
= Graduate Computer Science and Engineering, University of Washington

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs