Re: Another Manatsu no Eve boo boo?

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: Another Manatsu no Eve boo boo?
date Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:05:35 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 Shadow6865@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/26/99 9:01:04 AM, borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
> writes:
>
> <<
> The important question here is: What did he actually say in Japanese?
> >>

> 		He said something with such deep and significant cultural meaning that it
> could never be understood by us "forigners" so the people at Pioneer just make
> up some dialogue and a different plot. Sorry for this bit of sarcasm but I was
> just thinking of anime fans I know who feel that you can't call yourself an
> anime fan unless you learn Japanese with complete fluency and actually live in
> Japan for at least a year. I obviously have very little respect for an extreme
> opinion like this.

I actually agree totally with you.

However, the fact is that we're trying to extract some information about
the background of the movie from one very short lines of dialogue. And
for that purpose, it *does* make sense to ask what the original dialogue
actually was, since we've *already* seen with the "my brother's tree"
thing that there sometimes are little nuances that simply *cannot* be
translated exactly without lengthy explanations. And the dub obviously
can't contain those because it would ruin the flow of the story and there
wouldn't be enough time anyway.

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.
   A Homepage for Elektra: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~borgward/
   AnT - Animeclub fuer Deutschland: http://www.online.de/home/Rumiya/ant/
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string