Re: Cruel Angel's Thesis (was:Subbed v dubbed war)

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from "Billy Ting" <ancientpc@iname.com>
subject Re: Cruel Angel's Thesis (was:Subbed v dubbed war)
date Mon, 01 Feb 1999 16:52:13 -0600
On 2/1/99, at 10:46 AM, Kathleen Faulconer wrote:

>BTW, I am also totally in love with the EVA theme song and play it as many
>times a day as possible! Yes, you got it! What a great song. I have
memorized
>every word in Japanese but have no clue what many of them mean! I like
that she
>says "tenshi" which spelled with an s means angel (I think), but sounds
the
>same as Tenchi!

I know this way OT, but I love Eva even though I've only seen the first 12
episodes and that was 4 months ago.  I also have the EoE but my obsession
has to die off sometime . . .

Anyways, about Cruel Angel Thesis, I'm right there with you.  I've
memorized the song even though I'm not Japanese (although I know what
they're saying).  Tenshi does mean Angel.  In Eva when they use the word
Shito to describe the Angels it is also a term of disciple, etc.  Anyways,
knowing me, I have the translation of the song printed out with the
Japanese pronouciation.  I got this information off the Eva FAQ.

2.7.1) What are the words to Zankoku na Tenshi no THESE
       (The cruel angel's thesis)?

     Zankoku na tenshi no youni shounen yo shinwa ni nare.

     Like a cruel angel, become a legend young man.

     Aoi kaze ga ima, mune no doa wo tataitemo,
     Watashi dake wo tada mitsumete, hohoenderu anata.

     Although the blue winds are knocking on the door of the heart,
     You are simply smiling and staring only at me.

     Sotto fureru mono, motomeru koto ni muchuu de,
     Unmei sae mada shiranai, itaikena hitomi.

     Totally absorbed in seeking something that is gently shivering,
     And not even knowing your fate, you have baby-like eyes.

     Dakedo itsuka kizuku deshou, sono senaka niwa,
     Haruka mirai mezasu tame no hane ga aru koto.

     However someday you'll probably realise
     On your back there are wings that make the future awaken.

     *Zankoku na tenshi no teeze, madobe kara yagate tobidatsu.
     Hotobashiru atsui patosu de, omoide wo uragiru nara.
     Kono sora wo taite kagayaku, shounen yo shinwa ni nare.*

     *This is the thesis of a cruel angel,
     Soon you'll be flying away from the window.
     If you betray your memories by your gushing pathos,
     You will hold the universe and shine.
     Become a legend young man.*

     Zutto nemutteru, watashi no ai no yurikago,
     Anata dake ga yume no shisha ni, yobareru asa ga kuru.
     Aoi kubisuji wo tsukiakari ga utsushiteru.
     Sekaichuu no toki wo tomete, tojikometai kedo!

     Always sleeping in the cradle of my love,
     The morning comes when only you are called the messager of dreams.
     The moonlight shows the slender back of your neck.
     I wish I could stop and trap time in the entire world!

     Moshimo futari aeta koto ni, imi ga arunara,
     Watashi wa sou jiyuu wo shiru tame no baiburu.

     If our meeting have a meaning,
     Then I am the bible that reveals this freedom.

     Zankoku na tenshi no teeze, kanashimi ga soshite hajimaru.
     Takishimeta inochi no katachi, sono yume ni mezameta toki,
     Dare yorimo hikari wo hanatsu, shounen yo shinwa ni nare.

     This is the thesis of a cruel angel,
     The sadness will begin with shape of the life that you embrace,
     When you awake from that dream.
     Blaze brighter than anyone, become a legend yong man.

     Hito wa ai wo tsumugi nagara, rekishi wo tsukuru.
     Megami nante nanenai mama, watashi wa ikiru.

     People make history as they weave their love.
     If I cannot become something of a goddess,
     I am still alive.

     * repeat

(Translation by Patrick Yip <Patrick.Yip@ing-barings.com>)

Listening to Komm susser tod which is my favorite Eva song for the time
being . . .

-Billy Ting

"You've never known the meaning of hope, have you?"
-Mizuhara Makoto (El Hazard)

http://welcome.to/ElHazard
http://welcome.to/TenchiMuyo

Search field Search string