Re: Subbed v dubbed war

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: Subbed v dubbed war
date Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:51:56 +0100 (MET)
On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 ZeroOut@aol.com wrote:

> << The dub started out ok, and kept getting better. So I got most of the OVAs
>  dubbed to save $55. If the dub is good, I'll buy it and save the $5!
>  Everything else is 25% Sub and 75% Dub. Dubs are better for converting the
>  unbelievers, however. (though with a DVD player, you can have 'em speak in
>  Japanese -- and answer in English. Whee! )
>   >>

> I don't know....I've only rented the first OVA episode subtitled, and it was
> funny as hell!    All the stores that I go to only have the dub, and I'm not
> sure if some scenes will still be as funny as if they were left in
> subtitles....does anyone have both sub and dub and tell me which is better
> (only on Tenchi OVA)?

IMO the original has one notable advantage: the dub VA of Ryoko is not
good at playing the "cute" Ryoko that Ai Orikasa(the original VA) does
so adorably.

> Especially if the dub is going to downgrade scenes;

The dub defuses one scene that I know of, OTOH there's at least one place
where the SUB is "downgraded" while the dub isn't.

But "moster"?? Why would anyone change that?

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.
   A Homepage for Elektra: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~borgward/
   AnT - Animeclub fuer Deutschland: http://www.online.de/home/Rumiya/ant/
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string