Re: Dvd vs LD

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Chris Beveridge <cbeverid@ix.netcom.com>
subject Re: Dvd vs LD
date Sun, 03 Jan 1999 07:49:52 -0500
"David D. Rogers" wrote:

> >From: Chris Beveridge <cbeverid@ix.netcom.com>
> >To: tenchi@ML.usagi.org
> >Subject: Re: finall watched american STM...
> >
> >Complete fact. All the information on the remaster/remix DVD reissue
> >(lots of re's) can be found at http;//www.animeondvd.com/tenbox.htm
>
> Actually, this should be http://www.animeondvd.com/tenbox.htm

Thanks for the fix. Damn that semi-colon!

> Cost is apparently only $120 for 13 episodes (a bargain!). The Japanese
> soundtrack is in the original stereo and remastered 5.1 Dolby Dig. (I have
> to wait until April, but given the cost savings and higher quality, and the
> fact that I've been able to resist buying it _this_ long... ^_-)

I agree, it's definitely a bargain. After paying the 34.95 for each of
the first 6 discs when they first came out, this "upgrade" for me is
certainly a bargain.

> The folks at the Pioneer pannel seemed kind of heistant about releasing
> DVDs at AX 98. Understandable, because of the high cost of remastering, and
> the uncertainty (greater 6 months ago than now) of the DVD market's
> expansion. It's good to know that they have confidence in the DVD market's
> expansion--or the market gave them the confidence to expand.

They realized that a lot of people are wanting TV series and such on DVD
now. The market is definitely growing and there is a lot of demand,
especially for a bunch of their shows. I don't think they'll get as
close to a day and date release as they used to with laserdisc, if only
because of the extra effort that must be applied to the DVD format, with
menus and such. But it's definitely better than just VHS.
--
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, Anime on DVD

Search field Search string