Re: Dvd vs LD

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Dmmanda <dmmanda@ibm.net>
subject Re: Dvd vs LD
date Sat, 02 Jan 1999 22:04:20 -0500

Greg Kempenich wrote:

> Hmm, this seems like a better title for the thread.  Anyway, for many of us
> the whole issue is non relevant because in the US at least is nearly
> impossible to buy a new laserdisk player.  The only one I've seen in that
> past year is pioneer's combo DVD/LD player.  Which is a very kewl product
> btw...  I have to say that dvd is a medium which will take off.  My only
> reservation is that I don't know if DVD will support the upcoming hi-res
> HDTV modes.  Can anybody clue me in?

I just bought a new Computer with a DVDIII drive.  It rocks, I just
bought a copy of the Bubblegum Crisis Collectors edition and I can play
it with any combination of Japanese or (English or French dub), and
subtitled (none, Japanese, English, or French).  The video quality is
exceptional much better than my VHS player with the audio in Dolby
Stereo.  I haven't seen too much LD but this seems much superior in
detail.  In the US, the wave of the future seems to be DVD.  I just
bought all eight eps for under $35.00 US shipped.  In VHS, the same set
would cost over $100, and I would have the devastating choice of Dub or
Sub (I get both).  I watch Sub with the original Japanese dialogue and
my kids watch Dub (don't know why the Dub voice work is nowhere near as
good as the original) and the sub print is very unobtrusive.  I know
that "Tenchi in Tokyo will be available in DVD very soon, and that both
movies "Tenchi In Love" and "Daughter of Darkness" available just before
Christmas at about the same price as the VHS tapes.  Am debating over
purchasing the movies even though I already own dubs just to get the
Subs.  Any thoughts?

Dave M.

Search field Search string

archive list