Re: finall watched american STM...

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from arromdee@inetnow.net
subject Re: finall watched american STM...
date Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:50:56 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, David D. Rogers wrote:
> I can't speak from experience how simple or easy it is to mod a DVD player,
> but it's not very expensive. A chip from England costs less than US$50 for
> most players. (I've no idea what customs charges are, but it's probably
> pretty minimal.) Techtronics sells chips for many players
> (http://www.techtronics.com/ttn/shop/51-dvd-multimod-table.htm), and
> they'll also install it for you for extra (plus shipment to the U.K.).
> (Though my DVD-A300U isn't modable. ;( ) Another source of info is
> http://www.aeug.org/~chip/dvdchip.html , or you can just do a search in
> HotBot.

This really doesn't help fans in the US.  There are so few European region
videos in Europe that even non-fans have a good reason to buy foreign disks.
This means that shops which do modifications are plentiful there.

In the US, only a few niche markets like anime fans need to get their players
modified, so you can't find shops to modify your player here.  You can order
the chip, of course (providing you're lucky enough to have a player that can
be modified), but good luck finding someone to install it.  (Never mind customs
charges; what about _shipping_ charges?  That can add on quite a bit,
especially if you get insurance.)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited