Re: [noise] Japanese personal pronouns (was: Re: Kagato's name)

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Kevin Aw <kevinaw@home.com>
subject Re: [noise] Japanese personal pronouns (was: Re: Kagato's name)
date Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:16:11 -0800
Luriko-Ysabeth wrote:

> Ryohko, when written with different kanji (i.e. ending in "child," with
> seventeen different choices for the first kanji) is a *really* common female
> name.

Yah.. I remember looking up her name and getting tons.  But I mean the original
Kanji of her and Aeka, Sasami, Ryo-ohki and Washu's names.  (Being that they
aren't usual Chinese or Japanese names..)Luriko-Ysabeth wrote:

> The thing is that Japanese has about eight or nine different words meaning "I,
> me." My kanji dictionary lists some of the ones that have different kanji:
>
> [omitted]
>
> And that's not counting the ones that are different pronunciations of the same
> kanji!

Oh man... That's the general difficulty people have when comparing Japanese to
Chinese.  One character can have multiple pronounciations and a pronounciation can

be of several Kanji.  And add to that confusion; you can have several syllables
per word...

  (Compared to Chinese which is one character, one sound, one syllable per
dialect.)

WashuOji@aol.com wrote:

> I have a huge amount of information on refering to oneself. Off my head, Washi
> is used by older males. I'll list some more information later.

[The following uses S-JIS encoding for anyone else joining this thread]

Kagato: _  l

  So, my question is, what is  in Japanese?

  I couldn't pick out the information from Luriko's paragraph.. 8)  hehe.
--
------
Kevin Aw <kevinaw@home.com>

Search field Search string