Re: ok gearing up for new series..

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Lamont Downs <Lamont.Downs@worldnet.att.net>
subject Re: ok gearing up for new series..
date Sun, 01 Nov 1998 13:55:20 -0800
TenchiMP@gate1.tomatoweb.com wrote:

> 4) this one's about slayers....i haven't seen any slayers, but was thinking
> of grabbing the series..anyone know how long it is? also, is the movie
> based on the series? cuz the cover has the big breasted chick, and the
> small chick, but i didn't see the big breasted chick on the cover of any of
> the series tapes.

The first series is 8 tapes/26 episodes. At one point SS was going to
put it out on DVD and canceled out (since the second box of 4 tapes is
labeled Central Park Media, I suspect that there was a change of company
ownership/affiliation). The series was excellent IMHO, with a lot of
very funny humor (both slapstick and voice acting, at least in the
Japanese version). It also built to an unexpectedly exciting climax,
rather a la Tenchi Universe, which was very well handled.

The movie supposedly takes place _before_ the series, and as far as I
know Naga (the top-heavy one) doesn't show up in the three TV series
(Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try). That's fine with me, as I
found her to be irritating, not funny. Overall I was quite disappointed
in the movie, which seemed pretty infantile compared to the series (a
nice switch on the usual priorities). ADV's dubbed voices in the movie
were awful, reminding me of the worst kind of US Saturday morning
cartoon voices; they usually do a much better job with their dubbings
than this. I've only heard the sub of the series, which was superb. I
could listen to Megumi Hayashibara's astonishing voice acrobatics for
hours without tiring...

Bottom line: Can't wait for Slayers Next and Slayers Try to make it to
the US, but will probably pass on the remaining movies.

Lamont Downs
Lamont.Downs@worldnet.att.net
http://home.att.net/~Lamont.Downs/anime/

Search field Search string