Re: Is Kiyone alive? (was Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie)

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Gregory Matteson <matteson@ccnet.com>
subject Re: Is Kiyone alive? (was Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie)
date Mon, 02 Sep 1996 21:57:53 -0700
At 10:02 PM 9/2/96 -0400, you wrote:
>      Something which you may or may note choose to regard as
> canon:  In CD Special #2 (which is based off of the OVA series,
> not the TV), Kiyone visits Earth.  They are excited to meet
> her in person, talking about how they heard all about her from
> Mihoshi's telling of the story of the Case of the Ultra-Energy
> Matter.  Kiyone seems embarrassed and angry that Mihoshi told
> them about that incident, and Mihoshi is meek and apologetic but
> not really surprised that Kiyone is still alive.  My overall
> impression was that it was something resolved in the past, and
> Mihoshi had deliberately lied about that part of the end of her
> story in order to either make it seems more dramatic or cover
> up for her blundering.
>
> -Mike Zavisca

        I personally doubt, based on my estimation of her character, both
expressed, and as intended, that Mihoshi would ever deliberately lie.
Confabulate, distort, omit, confuse, misdirect, not just maybe, but with
great verve; but never lie.

BTW: As long as I am holding forth on personalities, let me make a comment
for those who don't like my psycho-analytic approach (which I thought and
still think was a very powerful approach to analyzing History, when I was
getting my degree)
        The creators of TM!RO use the timeless movie convention of
indicating personality problems and madness with obviously inappropriate
laughter, as well as by, IMHO, providing almost textbook model abnormal
behavior. On what I would sort of think of as a Vincent Price 1-10 scale of
maniacal laughter, I think my estimations of their problems are in accord
with with the laughter scale.
        This would make Mihoshi perfectly sound and honest.
        Kagato, Clay, and Azusa rank as perfect 10s.
        Aeka, Washu, and Ryoko I would rate, each, at about 3.
        Every-one else seems OK on the laugh factor.

In defense of the Demon-Goddess, I think she's pretty decent for someone
abused 1400 years by Kagato, buried in a cave for 700 years, by all accounts
still a virgin, who saw her first real crush get blown away in front of her
eyes.

                                Greg M.

Search field Search string

archive list