Re: TM and The Monolith?

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Gregory Matteson <matteson@ccnet.com>
subject Re: TM and The Monolith?
date Mon, 02 Sep 1996 21:37:53 -0700
At 10:27 PM 9/2/96 -0500, you wrote:

>hopefully someone out there can answer this-
>
>In the TM part 1 Gakken mook there is a section that describes a TM Musical
>Drama CD.  The cover of the CD is a picture of the cast of TM on what looks
>to be the moon.  One of the pieces of art associated with this CD is a
>picture of Tenchi and Ryoko looking on as Sasami, arms raised, stands in
>front of what looks like the Monolith from the movie 2001.
>
>So my question is, is that supposed to be the same monolith as from Kubriks
>epic?  And if it is, what the heck is going on in that CD that they're
>running into the Monolith?
>
>Someone please help, very time I look at the picture my mind just boggles.
>
><eric>

        Every one of the "Secret Onsen of the Solar System" is one or more
literary and/or movie references, with even an occasional sly reference to
reality(!). IMHO, even within the context of TM!RO it must be taken
symbolicly, because it's pretty silly otherwise.
        Based on the translation I obtained, indeed that is the 2001
Monolith. Not only that, Ryoko breaks it up to use as rubbing pumice, and
finds it works well.  Another example of the references is the presence of
the Burroughs Princess of Mars at the Mars Onsen.
        BTW, the illustrations in the liner and Gakken Mook are not in
strict accord with the script. Just for example, the script makes a great
deal of the fact that it is only proper to conduct a ceremony at an Onsen
naked, and Sasami plunges in, leading the way.  Aeka is the only one who
doesn't go along with that; but at the end of the play, she is the most
enthusiastic proponent of another Onsen tour-presumably to re-inspect
Tenchi-sama. B-)

                                Greg M.

Search field Search string

archive list