Re: TM and The Monolith?

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Michael John Zavisca" <mjzavisc@eos.ncsu.edu>
subject Re: TM and The Monolith?
date Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:32:18 -0400
On Sep 2, 10:27pm, Eric Carney wrote:
> Subject: TM and The Monolith?
>

> hopefully someone out there can answer this-
>
> In the TM part 1 Gakken mook there is a section that describes a TM Musical
> Drama CD.  The cover of the CD is a picture of the cast of TM on what looks
> to be the moon.  One of the pieces of art associated with this CD is a
> picture of Tenchi and Ryoko looking on as Sasami, arms raised, stands in
> front of what looks like the Monolith from the movie 2001.
>
> So my question is, is that supposed to be the same monolith as from Kubriks
> epic?  And if it is, what the heck is going on in that CD that they're
> running into the Monolith?
>
> Someone please help, very time I look at the picture my mind just boggles.

      As part of some plan to stop Kagato's resurrection, Washu and the
 others are touring the "Seven Secret Hot Springs [onsen] of the Solar
 System".  The hot spring located on the moon is "Monolith Onsen".  The
 monolith began emitting some weird tones that made Ryoko sort of de-
 evolve and start acting like a monkey.  So yeah, kind of a minor joke
 reference to _2001_.

 -Mike Zavisca
  mjzavisc@eos.ncsu.edu

> <eric>
> "It's fishy.  Really fishy.  It's so fishy I can smell it, and it smells
> like burning fish."
> Member RFFC
> </eric>
>

>-- End of excerpt from Eric Carney