Re: The word "Tsunami" (was Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie)

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from "Michael John Zavisca" <mjzavisc@eos.ncsu.edu>
subject Re: The word "Tsunami" (was Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie)
date Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:09:11 -0400
On Sep 2,  1:03am, Donna Hutt-Stapfer wrote:

> I can add a little addendum to the names bit - not that this bit is exactly
> helpful.
>
> Washuu got her name from a location in the Okayama area - Washuzan, which is
> a mountain top recreational, museum-like observatory, scientific fun place.
> Kinda like Griffith Observatory here in Los Angeles.  So when Washuu wants
> to be called "Washuu-chan" - you get the idea.
>
> Tsunami has meant and will always mean "mother of all tidal waves" to me.
> End subject.
>
> Tokimi?!!  Somebody help us!!

      Tsunami's name is not spelled with the kanji meaning "tidal wave",
 though it's probably intended to be evocative of that interpretation.
 If I remember correctly from when I looked them up in the dictionary,
 the three characters mean something like "charm" + "harbor" + "beauty".
 I've no idea what "Tokimi" means, though.

 -Mike Zavisca
  mjzavisc@eos.ncsu.edu

>                        "Horn Broken -- Watch for Finger"
>        The Blue Thunder of Ontario, California (I work for SuperShuttle!!)
>                               Donna Hutt-Stapfer
>                       kyburg@cyberg8t.com * kyburg@aol.com
>                               Will Work for Anime
> "There's a Cure - We'll Find It" - Juvenile Diabetes Foundation 800-296-8788
>
>-- End of excerpt from Donna Hutt-Stapfer

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs