Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Gregory Matteson <matteson@ccnet.com>
subject Re: Tenchi Muyo! the Movie
date Sun, 01 Sep 1996 22:20:11 -0700
At 08:06 PM 9/1/96 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Gregory Matteson wrote:
>
>>         Even if you don't like my psycho-analytic slant, think about it.
>> Unless some other Tsunami-like goddess rescued her or put her back together,
>> Kiyone is dead in the OAVs.  I know the writers will probably bring her back
>> anyway, if there is one thing that is not permanent in Anime, it's death.
>>
>>                                 Greg M.
>
>	She is NOT dead folks.. GOOD GRIEF!!! Noone -good- dies in Tenchi
>Muyo!  Greg, your slavery/sado-masochistic obsession is REALLY worrying
>me.

        Your hysterical reaction is really worrying me. I almost dunno if I
should be responding. B-)
        I already gave an immediate explanation of my context for probing
the questions of S&M and slavery when you first questioned it.  Since you
are still reacting so strongly, let me extend my explanation a little.
        When I first came onto this ML, oh so young and tender, several
people thrust upon me in discussions that the "Call me princess" bit was
ABSOLUTELY part of the OAV canon.  Later, in an extended discussion of the
ethical and legal speculations concerning Ryoko's status and behavior I was
quite shocked and disappointed that people could, even in context of an
animated fantasy, maintain that torturing someone for a private grievance, a
grievance that in fact turned out to be largely delusion, would be OK. (I
guess I just don't understand the suffering of the lovelorn. That must be
why I am a middle-aged batchelor)
        Still later, at about the same time as I had the misfortune of
re-reading a certain well known and perverted fantasist, Mr. Lee and several
others convincingly demonstrated to me just how thin my understanding could
could be under some circumstances.
        I had to make damned sure that I hadn't missed something here: that
this was not in fact some disguised corner of perversity, and me the only
one not in on the joke.
        If you've seen a few pieces of Tentacle Porn, or even the self
torturing savagery of some of the stronger Samurai fantasies, you will
understand why I had to make sure.  S&M is a real factor in the Anime world.
        I am not the only person by any means who has at some time exercised
a personal agenda in their inquiries and comments on this ML. I try not to
make too much of a habit of it, and I do not see how my comments on the
apparent death of Kiyone relate to my past inquiries about S&M or slavery.
I do think that the assertions that Kiyone died, and that she did so in the
OAV universe is an entirely defensable assertion, though not necessarily a
verity. The assertion was worthy of discussion, and IMHO the original author
should not have allowed himself to be bullied into backing down.  I think
you need to chill out a little.B-|

There was NO indication that she died.. AND the Mihoshi Special IS NOT
>PART OF THE TENCHI SERIES!!! It was a side note.  Not to mention.. didn't
>it seem odd to ANYONE else.. that Kiyone was still alive.. after Mihoshi
>was done telling the story??
>
>	That could mean that she'd been out in space for some two or three
>years??!! Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidah!
>

>\|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/  "Truth is well veiled by lie and
>- Wes W. Walker			-    never immediately apparent."
>- wwalker@comp.uark.edu  	-			-Me

                        Greg M.

Search field Search string

archive list