Re: Tenchi OVA DVD--Questions

to tenchi@ml.usagi.org
from arromdee@inetnow.net
subject Re: Tenchi OVA DVD--Questions
date Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:12:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > It may cover several models, but that's nowhere near most of the
> > market.
> Actually it is. (Waits for ken to redefine "most of the market")

It may help if you tell me just how much of the market it covers.  There are
at least six brands of DVD MPEG decoder chip, so if you're trying to tell me it
covers more than 1/6 of the market, I'd appreciate some numbers.

> > I want to be able to buy any player and be pretty sure I can get it
> > modified.  I can't.
> So buy ones you can.

Then you can't say "modchips are plentiful" any more.  You have to say
"modchips are plentiful only for some players".  You know, that doesn't sound
anywhere near as impressive.

> > Besides, he _doesn't_ sell the chips, and though he links to people who
> > do, those people aren't in the US.
> If canada is too difficult for you then I think you have other serious
> problems you need to get sorted out first.

You can't send things insured (or COD) to Canada.  You also have to go through
customs.  Not to mention that the one Canadian link you mentioned only has a
single set of prices, which means that he only takes orders in Canadian
dollars.

> > And getting a modchip is only part of the problem.  I'd need to get someone
> > to install it.  How am I going to find one of those?  (That's one way being in

> > the US matters.  I don't want to mail my player to Germany.)
> The mods are easy to install. As long as you can grasp a soldering iron
> its no big deal. Of course it might be a problem if youre paraplegic.
> Otherwise its not.

The mods are *risky*.  I could destroy my player with a bad mod.  The chance is
small, but players are expensive, and a small chance of a large loss is a bad
idea.

> > At the moment, I don't see how any fan interested in getting anime from Japan

> > can support DVD.
> Thus Ken reveals his true agenda. Religiously protecting existing LD
> investment.

I don't own any LDs.  (And if I did, and I owned a player, the player would
work fine with all my existing LDs anyway.)

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs