Re: why arent there any africans in anime?

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from "Happosai" <happosai@jps.net>
subject Re: why arent there any africans in anime?
date Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:26:04 -0700
On 30 Sep 98, at 12:12, Shuichi Koga wrote:

> Hmmm... Speaking of touchy-feely subjects. I won't go into why (and if
> it's racist; that is the subject of lots of debates), but on the topic of
> African Americans in anime:
>
> [Tenchi material here]
> I personally don't think Mihoshi is supposed to be African
> American. Deeply tanned, yes, but more of a well-tanned beach
> blonde. In the manga series, there in fact is mention of exactly how
> tan she is, but I don't remember the details.

Vol 4, Issue 3:

Ryoko: Hey, maybe you come from this planet, Mihoshi. I mean, look at your
skin color, your ears...

Mihoshi: Oh, no, not at all. See? I'm shaded with 10% screentone, but 20%
is used on these folks.

> [No Tenchi material here]
>
> That said, the only definitely African American Anime characters I can
> think of are the lady from Macross (the original) who worked at the
> command bridge, the Kami's helper from Dragonball, the friend in Macross
> Plus,

The base commander in Macross Plus, too, IIRC.

> and Nadia (from "Nadia of the Mysterious Blue Waters"). An
> interesting discussion about Nadia's character design is at Marc
> Hairston's web site, which you could find via any good anime links site,
> like anipike.

Vanilla (Armored Trooper Votoms).

Hasheen!

Happosai (happosai@jps.net), devout member of the Ryoko Forever Fan Club,
#WASHU# lab assistant in training, and Silver Knight of the Knightly
Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts.

Read Aikan Muyo at http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~andersor/fanfic/fanfic.html
Voted Best Tenchi Muyo Fanfic Spring'98, GenSao's TM! Fanfic Archive!

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited
MLtools V3.1 Copyright (c) Usagi Labs