Re: WHY IS SUBTITLED DIFFRENT THATN DUB

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: WHY IS SUBTITLED DIFFRENT THATN DUB
date Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:25:16 +0200 (METDST)
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 TenchiMP@aol.com wrote:

> 	Somethings been bothering me.   It seems as if the subtitled words of a movie
> is always difrent than the english dub. Like in Dauter of Darkness (or MNE
> whichever you prefer)  in the subtitled version Ryoko suposedly says something
> like: "how dare you try things I dont even try"  to Myuka after one of her
> little Freudian episodes with tenchi. Ive  whatced the english dub version 11
> times (oh did i mention its my favorite movie :)   and Ryoko never says that.
> But that is just an example.  The subtitled version almost always has difrent,
> and more acurate dialog than the english version.

Don't rely on the accuracy of the subtitles. It's still a translation, and
it can have faults. There's even a weird counter example in Tenchi Muyo
OVA 4 when Sasami scolds Tenchi.

Original dialogue:  Tenchi-niichan ecchi!
Dub dialogue:       You're a naughty boy, Tenchi! (fairly accurate)
Sub dialogue:       Oh, you!

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.
   A Homepage for Elektra: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~borgward/
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string

archive list