Re: language question

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Kirati Laisathit <kirati@u.washington.edu>
subject Re: language question
date Tue, 3 Oct 1995 12:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Akihiro MORIYAMA wrote:

> >Wasyuu called the guest character, "Hiwa dono".  I've also heard Cologne
> >call Ranma, "muko dono".  Now, what is the meaning and in what situations
> >is this honorific used?
> >
> >Other than a general inking that it is to be used by elders, I've hit a
> >dead end.
>
> In most simple using,
> "-SAMA" is used toward the person who belong to upper rank than the speaker.
> "-DONO" is used toward the person who belong to the same (or lower).

Now I am confused, the other post mentions the fact that -dono is an
archaic form used in feudal Japan, where -dono was used to address
the upper rank of the different clan. So, which one is correct. Clearly,
these two explanations aren't at all that reconciliable. Maybe the above
is the correct present-day explanation, ne?

Later...

K I R A T I   L A I S A T H I T                    kirati@u.washington.edu

Search field Search string

archive list