Re: TMiL and old news

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Tomar <tomar@brain.ames.net>
subject Re: TMiL and old news
date Sun, 31 May 1998 22:31:01 -0500
Tenchi ML,

At 01:50 AM 6/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>rented TMiL on LaserDisc(CLV) for my second viewing and this time I had
>enough time to actually watch it and straight through and not be rushed.

To bad you didn't find the original CAV. ^_^;;;

>I was very very impressed with the animation quality and sound quality.
>MNE jsut doesn't stand up.  Watching the TMiL on a AC-3 equipped system
>woudl have even been more impressive.

There is a good reason why that the animation is better in
TMiL.  I think that TMiL had 1.5 times the budget of MNE. ^_^;;

>my view on TMiL is complete changed around.  The plot is similar to MNE in
>certain aspects, a criminal is fueled by hatred of Jurain blood due to some
>event in the past, thought Kain is jsut a character to fuel a plot, very
>loose ties to any character.  TMiL does a much better job in capturing the
>audience attention, IMHO, Yuzuha's and Mayuka's antics are childs play in
>my eyes.  MNE doesn't do nearly as good job into creating suspense up to
>the point of climax, either, again, basing this off of Mayuka and Yuzuha's
>actions.  the difference in Mayuka and Achika are quite different.  teh
>childlike manner of Mayuka is annoying while I enjoyed the more mature
>Achika and Nobuyuki... oh well, just my 2cents.

Ah, but Hitchcock, the Master of Suspense, had a brilliant
flash of insight when he realized that: yes, it is scary to
see a homicidal maniac run around and killing people, but it is
far scarier to reveal the killer's motivations while he/she/it
is doing it.

The one thing that I get tired of seeing in films, live and
animated, is the super evil bad guy without a feelings.  This
kind of "bad guy" hurts for the sake of hurting, which in
all practicality, is a really bad reason to hurt someone. ^_^;
TMiL's Kain is basically a really super evil bad guy who
just wants to kill off the House of Jurai.  On the other hand
MNE's Yazuha wanted to hurt and humiliate Yousho and Tenchi.
(Did Yazuha really want Tenchi or Yousho dead? Hrumm.......)
Using Mayuka as a tool to create confusing, she almost caused
everyone at the Tenchi house to go ballistic.  But that didn't
happen. ^_^ When Yazuha saw that this wasn't working out the
way she planned, she resorted to the back up plan of kidnapping.

Kain's screen time was limited.  After all, you didn't see
him do anything to Tenchi and crew until Tokyo tower.
He rants and raves and tries to kill off as many people as
possible.  When he goes, everyone is happy.  Yazuha's has
much more screen time and we actual find out why she feels
such animosity toward Yousho.  This puts it more into
perspective making her defeat less of a celebration.

Don't get me wrong, I saw the TMiL premier at AX 96 and loved
it!  Achika and Nobuyuki were both characters that need some
development and this is their story. ^_^ I also think that
there are some problems with MNE, but that is a thread for
another day. ^_^;;

>An old quesiton, but just why does Tenchi begin to disappear.  If Kain had
>wiped out Achika or would ahve changed the events in the past, Tenchi would
>just disappear instandly disappear.  Perhaps this is common element in
>movies which I shouldn't question, like disappearing of Marty's siblings in
>his picture in Back to the Future.
>
>kind of pointless, due the to the paradoxes of time travel, but just a
>thought.

This is a plot device to express the danger that Tenchi was
in.  And I agree...time travel stories are inherently weaker
stories(which is my second beef with TMiL).

Tomar
aka tomar@ames.net

Search field Search string

archive list