Re: Yet more Tenchi the Movie 2 Comments

to tenchi@ML.usagi.org
from Animantoric <animantoric@geocities.com>
subject Re: Yet more Tenchi the Movie 2 Comments
date Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:10:47
At 11:23 AM 4/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, my DVD just came in the mail and now I have a chance to add my
>own fuel to the fire on the movie. No need to repeat the stuff about
>Ryoko's screen presence, et all, that's been done to death.
>
>Spoilers below

>Here we go.
>
>Yuhuza isn't exactly a tragic figure. Aside from having a crush on
>young Yosho, most of her other behavior is pretty reprehensible. One
>wonders if Yosho would be alive if he had arrived a few minutes
>earlier to see Yuhuza, around the time she was eating people. If a
>homicidal maniac falls for someone, they're still a homicidal maniac.

Yeah, but everyone suddenly gains sympathy is a psycho can show
emotion...it does something to their brains like a psycho w/emotion isn't
still a psycho.

>I can't but help that Ryoko feels slightly weaker here than in
>the original OAV series. Why hasn't Tenchi given her the other two
>gems yet. I'd say his original reasons for keeping them are well and
>truly gone. For that matter, Aeka seems a bit weaker as well. She went
>down way too fast. Hasn't Ryu-oh regenerated by now?

Yah yah yah...I'll bet the animators and storywriters don't really chew
over this as much as we do, and don't really pay that much attention to
little details.  If we read over the script and stuff then we would prolly
pick up lots-o-stuff that the writers missed.  Also, they were prolly on a
tight time schedule and well, if they didn't mess up, we would have much
less to discuss...

>Aeka's screen presence is more understated than Ryoko or Sasami but it
>is well done. Gone is the rather unpleasant figure of the Tenchi TV
>series. This character has a lot more maturity. I wouldn't say that
>her willingness to conceed defeat is a sign of weakness, she's just
>willing to talk about it.

Tenchi TV???  Just a moment ago you were talkin bout the OAV...Are you goin
for a unified theory, or just a different timeline?

>Granted, she is hostile towards Mayuka, but once she gets over that,
>she takes on a rather maternal presence towards Tenchi's daughter. She
>was the one who pulled Mayuka from the fireworks and later tells her
>she can stay for Christmas if she's a good girl.

Mayuka!!

>Finally, she was the one who saved the day by bringing in that branch
>of Yosho's tree. She gets a very spectacular and showy arrival and
>gets to toss the branch to Tenchi. Ryoko couldn't save Tenchi, but
>Aeka did (though its doubtful he would have made it that far without
>her help getting close).

Yah, Ryoko did all of the work for the whole first 5 min in Yuzuha's Dark
Dimension...
This also brings up a little thought that I've had for a few days:  The
writers have written so much Tenchi that they prolly accidently mixed up a
little timeline stuff or just didn't separate timelines like we do...Toward
the end, before Ayeka get her branch, Yosho was sayin "Jurain power" and
Ayeka was talking about Funaho as if Yosho wasn't her brother.  Wierd...

>Chalk her up as a dark horse candidate in the race for Tenchi's heart.
>
>I can sort of understand why they pushed things forward in time. After
>Tenchi TV where all the characters were sort of stuck in a rut. Moving
>the timeframe forward allowed them to make changes to the characters
>that wouldn't quite have to be explained. They're quite clearly one
>big household and everyone is a lot more comfortable with each other.

TV again??

http://access.digex.net/~mfterman/
>"Sig quotes are like bumper stickers, only without the same sense of
relevance"
The Animantoric...
	Anime crazy!
		Tenchi Muyo!