Re: Anime popularity

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Brazil <borgward@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
subject Re: Anime popularity
date Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:54:39 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Goldenboy wrote:

> >That's not surprising at all (at least, not to me). In Japan, animation is
> >not seen as a medium only for children, but that doesn't mean they watch
> >only anime. And big movies are made mostly in Hollywood.
> >
> >And BTW, Disney movies are continually among the anime top sale charts
> >in Japan.
>
>     I read somewhere that Miyazaki's " Monokone Hime " (sp? ) was the number
> one movies in Japan.  It come out like six months ago and it's still in the
> theaters there.  My source is Animerica either the last issue or the one
> before that one.  ( I know, kinda vague )

Yes, that's true, Mononoke Hime is the most successful movie of all time
in Japan having beaten E.T.

But it's an exception, not the rule. Sure, there are anime among the most
popular and successful movies in Japan, but they don't dominate
everything.

Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.
   A Homepage for Elektra: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~borgward/
--------------- Let`s shake the dew off this lily, shall we ? ---------------

Search field Search string

archive list