Re: D-VHS

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from arromdee@inetnow.net
subject Re: D-VHS
date Sun, 1 Feb 1998 03:46:48 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > You can get a mod chip to disable the region codes in your Playstation.
> You can get a mod to disable to region codes on most DVD players too. Your
> point being?

I can actually go onto the web and find the names of dealers who will mod a
Playstation for me, and even people who'll sell mod chips.

> > It's very unlikely someone is going to know how to mod your particular
> > DVD player unless you get lucky and get a brand that's especially easy
> > to modify.
> Nah, there are lots of mods available.

If I can't get them, they're not available.

If you think otherwise, tell me where to get one.  (And I don't mean dealers
in Europe, either.)

> > Also, the mods for DVD players will cost more because not as
> > many people how to modify each particular type, and because there are
> > fewer anime fans who buy anime from Japan than game players who buy
> > games from Japan.
> I have yet to see a playstation mod that cost $1.50. (Sony 7000 mod)

Because doing the mod takes $1.50 in parts does not mean you can get the mod
done for $1.50.  The price you will pay to modify your system doesn't only
depend on the price of the parts; it depends on what the market can bear.

> > And besides, all Playstations are the same.
> No they arent. There are at least 3 different US revisions of the
> playstation.

I simplified a little, but though there may be more than one model Playstation,
there are far fewer models of Playstation than of DVD player.  This makes it
much harder to modify a random DVD player than a random Playstation.

> > You can buy one by mail sight unseen, already modified.
> You can do this with DVD players as well. Your point being?

You can buy a Playstation by mail sight unseen because all Playstations
have exactly the same features and sell for the same price.  DVD players don't.

> > DVD players are different, and you'll want to comparison shop and look
> > for sales, which means you have to buy it where you live and send it
> > away, adding some extra hassle.
> No, it doesn't mean you _have_ to do anything.

Well, you don't _have_ to compare DVD modification to Playstation modification
either.

_If_ you want the comparison to make any sense, then you do _have_ to do more
for the DVD player.

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited