Re: D-VHS

from Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net>
subject Re: D-VHS
date Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:52:55 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 arromdee@inetnow.net wrote:
> > Well, why did you buy a playstation knowing it has region codes, but
> > rant about DVD region codes? Seems hypocritical to me.
> You can get a mod chip to disable the region codes in your Playstation.

You can get a mod to disable to region codes on most DVD players too. Your
point being?

> If you try to do that for a DVD player, there's tons of different brands of
> DVD players, and they all have to be modded in different ways.

So?

> It's very unlikely someone is going to know how to mod your particular
> DVD player unless you get lucky and get a brand that's especially easy
> to modify.

Nah, there are lots of mods available.

> Also, the mods for DVD players will cost more because not as
> many people how to modify each particular type, and because there are
> fewer anime fans who buy anime from Japan than game players who buy
> games from Japan.

I have yet to see a playstation mod that cost $1.50. (Sony 7000 mod)

Other player mods might cost more, but not for any of the reasons you
cite.

> And besides, all Playstations are the same.

No they arent. There are at least 3 different US revisions of the
playstation. And japanese playstations are completely un-mod-able. Unlike
japanese DVD players.

> You can buy one by mail sight unseen, already modified.

You can do this with DVD players as well. Your point being?

> DVD players are different, and you'll want to comparison shop and look
> for sales, which means you have to buy it where you live and send it
> away, adding some extra hassle.

No, it doesn't mean you _have_ to do anything.

-Dan

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited