Re: Tenchi 2nd series

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
cc tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from Timothy A Schulz <schulzt@stolaf.edu>
subject Re: Tenchi 2nd series
date Sun, 24 Sep 1995 01:24:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, James Budworth wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Timothy A Schulz wrote:
>
> >   When are 12 and 13 going to be released in English?
>
> Still waiting myself (impatiently) ^_^
>

> As many people have pointed out the animation quality of the second
> series isn't quite up to the level of the first, But it is still very
> good IMHO.
> Personally I really like the new eps.

I think the animation is pretty good as well... except the opening
credits. ARGH! They really bite.

> > I especially enjoyed the opening sequence of episode 11
> > (Tokimi, Clay, etc.)
>
> Gives you some idea of what Ryouko was up against.....  a single ship
> towing an entire galaxy....

A goddess... possibly the source of Tenchi's own powers? (101 Tenchi
Facts alludes to this, saying the Ko-Oh-Yoku are a "manifestation of
God's (mistranslation, perhaps? should it be "goddess"?) aura")
Regardless of this series' shortcomings (in my opinion, anyway), I'm
really looking forward to the conclusion. They handled the death scene in
#11 pretty well... if not for the middle 15 minutes (Zero goes cuckoo for
Tenchi), this would've been my favorite episode of series 2 (as it is,
that honor goes to "I Love Tenchi!" I really liked this one, actually.)

> Zero wasn't really a ruthless assassin simply a servent.  The reason she
> loses it when Tenchi is around is because of Ryouko's emotions.  After
> every mission Zero's memory is erased, preventing her from developing
> her own emotions.  Developing emotions would be a hinderance (As far
> as Dr Clay is concerned) to Zero's operating effeciency, but in this
> case, if Zero had been allowed to develop her own emotions she would
> have been able to handle Ryouko's feelings for Tenchi instead of
> losing it whenever he is around or mentioned.

That's not quite my point... See, Ryouko, by nature, has a more,
um... aggressive approach to winning Tenchi. Blushing and acting all coy was
never in her repertoire (except for her shojo manga experiment in #7 ^_^ ).
Ryouko herself never behaved like Zero does.

> Inconclusive ending ?? I assume you are reffering to the way at the very
> end we see a depressed Sasami watching the entire argument ?
>
> Ep 9 was the explanation as to why Sasami was so depressed.

No, I'm referring to when Washu takes on a fully-grown form, lays a claim
on Tenchi, causing everyone to argue... and in the very next episode,
she's back to being "Washu-chan", without a word of explanation, and
doesn't even make a move toward Tenchi for several episodes. If Episode 8
had produced any LASTING character changes, I would have liked it much
better. As it is, it seems pretty irrelevant to the series (unless her
child really WAS Kagato, or becomes important in #12 or 13...).

Thanks for the reply. ^_^

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited