Re: Tenchi 2nd series

to tenchi@usagi.jrd.dec.com
from James Budworth <budworth@guri.cage.curtin.edu.au>
subject Re: Tenchi 2nd series
date Sun, 24 Sep 1995 11:58:04 +0800 (WAST)
On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Timothy A Schulz wrote:

>   When are 12 and 13 going to be released in English?

Still waiting myself (impatiently) ^_^

>   And I realize everyone here has probably already voiced their opinions
> by now, but if anyone doesn't mind repeating, I'd like to hear some
> people's responses to the overall quality of the second series (or a
> summary of the general consensus). Some people I know seem to like the
> new episodes, and I think they're okay, with occasionally very funny or
> well-executed scenes.

As many people have pointed out the animation quality of the second
series isn't quite up to the level of the first, But it is still very
good IMHO.
Personally I really like the new eps.

> I especially enjoyed the opening sequence of episode 11
> (Tokimi, Clay, etc.)

Gives you some idea of what Ryouko was up against.....  a single ship
towing an entire galaxy....

> , but thought the rest of it was worthless. Zero, a supposedly
> ruthless assassin, is reduced to a simpering ninny when coming near Tenchi.
> It also doesn't reflect very well on the new writers' handling of Ryouko,
> either, since they're her borrowed emotions. Come ON, where's the
> kick-ass Ryouko we all know and love?

Zero wasn't really a ruthless assassin simply a servent.  The reason she
loses it when Tenchi is around is because of Ryouko's emotions.  After
every mission Zero's memory is erased, preventing her from developing
her own emotions.  Developing emotions would be a hinderance (As far
as Dr Clay is concerned) to Zero's operating effeciency, but in this
case, if Zero had been allowed to develop her own emotions she would
have been able to handle Ryouko's feelings for Tenchi instead of
losing it whenever he is around or mentioned.

>   Maybe I'm just spoiled by the sheer brilliance of the first series - I
> try to forget episodes 1-7, and come to the conclusion that the second
> series is okay by itself, and even the wince-inducing bits are redeemed
> by some amount of poignant character revelation: the relentless poo-poo
> and pee-pee gags of #8 give way to an interesting revelation by Washu,
> even though it seems irrelevant to the plot, and is immediately derailed
> by a lame, inconclusive ending that isn't followed up on in #9, and... er...

Inconclusive ending ?? I assume you are reffering to the way at the very
end we see a depressed Sasami watching the entire argument ?

Ep 9 was the explanation as to why Sasami was so depressed.

| Damn it! This is beginning  |  budworth@kagato.cage.curtin.edu.au  |
|     to piss me off!!        |                                      |
|  Does this place have a     |             Tenchi Rules             |
|  never-ending supply of     |         But Ryouko is Sexier         |
|       weird stuff ?!        |   So what if she can fly, survive    |
|                             |  explosions and pass through walls   |
|       Susano, ORION         |              _/@_@\_                 |

Search field Search string

archive list

unauthorized access prohibited